6 months ago
We are looking for a solicitor/lawyer with economic sanctions experience to join the Norton Rose Fulbright
LLP (NRFLLP) Compliance Team.
The role will report to the firm’s Head of Anti-Money Laundering and the Heads of Compliance. While the majority of the work will be internally focused, there is the possibility of being involved with client facing work. Some international travel may also be required.
This is a dynamic and varied role in a supportive and friendly global team. It involves engaging directly with the Practice daily, as trusted advisor, on issues relating to Financial Crime risks, including the following (non-exhaustive) list:
* Evaluate and advise on regulatory and sanctions risks presented by the firm’s new and existing business.
* Provide advice to the firm on sanctions issues.
* Stay abreast of international sanctions developments affecting Norton Rose Fulbright’s business.
* Participate in the management and development of systems, procedures and internal knowledge resources in relation to sanctions.
* Advise on and manage submission of reports to OFSI and other regulators.
* Evaluate and advise on the reputational risk issues presented by new clients and matters, e.g. higher risk jurisdictions, opaque ownership, source and flow of funds, allegations of criminal conduct relating to shareholders or beneficial owners etc.
* Liaise with specialist information providers including the commissioning of investigative reports.
* Participate in the continuing development and management of the firm’s global reputational risk processes.
* Assist in the general development of more junior members of the wider risk team including through mentoring and sponsorship programmes.
* Provide ad hoc advice on a day to day basis on Financial Crime risks to the firm and the firm’s MLRO.
* Contributing to the promotion of a risk management culture throughout the firm
Skills and Experience Required
* Qualified Solicitor, REL, RFL, or qualified Barrister or Solicitor in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the United States.
* Able to analyse complex legal issues.
* Relevant experience of advising on sanctions laws and issues, particularly in relation to Russia and Iran.
* Fully conversant with English professional conduct requirements.
* Strong initiative. Anticipates needs of clients, partners, Heads of Compliance and proactively looks at ways to deliver effectively and efficiently and adding value wherever possible.
* Analytical thinker, with strong communication skills and ability to articulate arguments clearly and succinctly.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Strong influencing skills to work successfully and confidently across the partnership, senior management and firm, in a culturally sensitive manner.
* Sufficiently confident to use own judgment and exercise risk-based judgement calls on a daily basis. Able to prioritise effectively.
* Highly motivated and flexible in approach to work based on business and client demands.
* Lateral thinker able to overcome obstacles under time pressure and Able to balance the firm’s legal obligations with its business needs.
* Discreet and professional approach given confidentiality of information.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Philippa Wilson.