8 months ago
This is a manager-level role in the Client Relationship Management team and is responsible for providing high quality client development and relationship management for the firm’s priority clients. This role is integral to the firm’s growth strategy and revenue generation objectives. The role is global in focus, working across Linklaters’ international network and drawing on all available resources across the firm to strengthen and develop our relationship with focus clients with a view, ultimately, to shortening the sales cycle.
The primary focus of this role is working in partnership with the Managing Relationship Partners (MRPs), global client teams and the broader partnership to build broader and deeper client relationships with the firm’s priority clients with the ultimate objectives of driving new revenue growth whilst protecting existing mature revenue streams across three principal areas:
* Building stronger/deeper relationships with the firm’s focus clients, cross-selling, identification of new opportunities and helping partners to win new business
* Positioning the firm by defining and promoting the firm’s expertise with key influencers within our priority clients in accordance with the firm’s strategy, strategic initiatives and relevant market-driven themes
* Building stronger relationships with our clients and delivering real value to the partnership as the lead (‘go-to’) point of contact for effective relationship management and development for a specific client.
Working closely with the Partnership, the Head of Client Relationship Management, all parts of the BDM Business Team and Business Teams across all functions, this role will be partner and client-facing. It will be responsible for supporting all aspects of the client experience framework/account management for the focus client(s), including: supporting the development of the client strategy and objectives, driving execution, the development of the services, resourcing, processes, best practices, good financial hygiene/cost transparency and seeking of/acting on client feedback and delivery of focused global relationship development and value-adding account management for our focus clients.
Key Responsibilities and Challenges
Key responsibilities and challenges for this role include:
* Contributing to and execution of strategic objectives and deliverables for the team. Focus on proactively delivering effective CRM and sales cycle support to the business.
* Working with all parts of the BDM Business Team and other Business Teams across the firm to identify, develop, implement and maintain the most efficient and effective means of delivering best practices, templates, processes, systems and resourcing structures that will drive and support more effective prioritisation of the firm’s marketing and BD efforts.
* Providing proactive support in managing the retention of revenue and driving new revenue growth via the development of key relationships and business opportunities.
* Building stronger and deeper relationships with our focus clients, being an ambassador for cross-selling, intelligence sharing, identification of new opportunities and winning new business
* Gaining buy-in from the business (practice and Business Teams) for priorities, processes, practices and deliverables and support driving cultural change.
* Identifying and creating business growth opportunities out of market developments and hot topics aligned to the firm’s strategy and topical market themes, both broadly and by creating a personalised channel to key people.
* Working with the relevant BDM and other Business Teams to ensure that the client team has access to the right resources, understands the client organisational structure, develops knowledge sharing practices (news/developments), is fully conversant with the strategy and needs of the client and the shape, size and objectives of the global relationship.
* Developing client relationships with relevant individuals personally and alongside MRPs/client teams.
* Working with marketing colleagues and fee earners worldwide on the development and implementation of an effective and targeted client plan with accountability and SMART objectives.
* Pro-active business development and marketing activity aligned to client plan objectives and the firm’s strategy, resulting in effective cross-selling, new business introductions, exploring potential new work streams and protecting existing relationships, all with the overall objective of shortening the sales cycle.
* Being strategic around investment in the client(s), including the planning of secondments. Briefing and working with secondees to make effective use of their time on secondment and ensuring we leverage their knowledge and relationships during and after a secondment.
* Oversight of the delivery of market-leading and differentiating value-added services to clients.
* Championing and delivering objectives of firm’s strategy:
* Investing in our clients: client experience programme objectives, including: Client Feedback programme, financial transparency
* Empowering our teams
* Changing our mind-set
* Embrace, confidently champion and work with our marketing and business development model – with a high degree of collaborative working
* Help to drive and implement best practice across the firm to implement and embed consistent, growth-oriented approach to business development and client account management
* Client account management and development plans – action oriented, measurable and focused on revenue growth – encourage a sense of accountability
* Identification and targeting of opportunities, horizon scanning relevant to specific to focus clients
* Proactively promoting, facilitating and initiating cross-selling across the network. Leverage and sell the ‘whole firm’.
* Proactive support of partner-led 1-to-1 focused business development
* Ensuring partners are prepared for effective relationship meetings and supported to deliver high level client service
* Help to establish, promote and to execute regular client-facing feedback for allocated focus clients
* Being the lead point of contact globally (all offices and practices) for any queries relating to business development and relationship management issues and information for a specific focus client
* Be the dedicated and designated global point of relationship contact for clients alongside MRPs
* Pitching (bids & proposals) – advise and support pitch strategy, pricing/fee negotiation strategy, provide prioritised client specific input to key bids and proposals
‘This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Skills & experience:
* Relevant experience in a dedicated client account management role
* Knowledge and experience of business development within a large professional services or partnership environment – preferably with experience across legal services and the ‘big four’ accountancy firms
* Experience of working in a global firm and global context
* Experience of the sales cycle in a professional services environment or ability to demonstrate revenue growth in an account management context
* Experience of developing geographically and cross-specialty client teams and global client planning workshops with multiple stakeholders
* A high degree of commercial acumen - strategic thinker, able to prioritise, make decisions, influence, gain buy-in
* An understanding of how businesses operate and make decisions. An understanding of multiple corporate, funds and financial sectors, but with specific familiarity of the financial technology sector and related clients, is desirable
* Cultural and market awareness - international working experience is desirable
* Strong client awareness, understanding of the legal market and ‘big four’ professional services environment, broad understanding of our products and client targets
* Highly self-motivated & self-starter with a can-do attitude - ability to work with little direction
* Resilient- ability to bounce back when challenged
* Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal) – influencing, driving change, challenging, sharing knowledge. Able to communicate and build relationships at all levels. Both partner and client facing
* Strong team player, collaborative, credible, highly flexible – able to build trust and respect among colleagues, knowledge sharing
* Planning & project management ability, results oriented, resourceful
* Client service focused and orientated
Relevant professional qualification
* Relevant experience in business development /account management experience
* Understanding of a law and/or professional services firm and its practices
* Understanding of multiple corporate, funds and financial sectors
* Potential sales cycle experience or ability to demonstrate revenue growth in an account management context
* Experience across legal services and the ‘big four’ accountancy firms
* Specific familiarity of the financial technology sector and related clients is desirable
* Excellent time management
* Highly PC and IT literate
* Excellent communicator & presenter
* Ability to run meetings effectively
* Good resource manager – upward, across and below
* Outstanding account management skills