6 months ago
We are offering an opportunity for a lawyer to join our rapidly growing charities team and work alongside members of our charity and corporate teams supporting education and charity sector clients in relation to transactions and wider corporate, commercial and governance matters.
We are a leading firm in the education sector and have over the last few years succeeded in expanding our broader charity sector work. Around 35% of the firm's turnover is in the charity and education sectors, making it a core part of the firm's work.
Our clients include charities from a variety of sectors: from education sector clients that fall within both the charitable and for profit sectors such as independent schools, academies, colleges, universities and investors; smaller charities working in local communities through to much larger organisations working nationally and internationally; public sector spin-outs; social care and religious organisations, and social enterprises. There can often be an interesting international element to transactions.
We are nationally recognised for the work we do with schools, universities and charities by the leading legal directories. We are top tier in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for our work for schools and education institutions and Charity Finance ranks us as a leading adviser to the Top 350 Charities.
In recent years we have won several awards for our education sector expertise including the Education Investor: Dealmaking award and the Education Investor: Advice to Education Institutions category. The judges stated that the firm has "an extraordinary focus on deal making in education".
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
About the Team
We are looking for someone who wants to join our charities team and give charity, corporate, governance and commercial advice to our clients in the education and charity sectors. This will include involvement in transactional work in those sectors
Our core charities team comprises five partners, three senior associates, three associates, two solicitors, two legal assistants and two trainee solicitor and is spread across our Bristol, Birmingham and London offices. Lawyers in all other parts of the firm provide advice to our education and charity sector clients and we work closely with them
To work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realising their commercial and charitable objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
This is a role for a solicitor with up to 2 year PQE wishing to help us with the further development of our charity corporate practice from our Bristol office, with a particular focus on transactional work involving independent schools.
The successful candidate will provide a wide range of advisory work on transactions, charity governance, regulatory and other matters. They would be involved in mergers, acquisitions and constitutional reviews as well as advisory work on charity regulation.
We are, first and foremost, looking for a lawyer who has a real interest in advising schools and charity clients and an ability to do so in a commercial manner.
Charity law is a highly specialised area, and we do not expect all applicants to have extensive experience of advising charities, but it will help in this role if you have experience of either advising charities or in relation to corporate transactions; we are more interested in finding someone who has the enthusiasm, intellect, and legal and commercial skills to get involved in this sector.
We welcome candidates who may have qualified into other areas and are now looking to work with schools and charities and particularly to provide support on transactions.
Applicants will be selected for interview on the basis they have the following essential qualities:
* A commercial approach
* Strong academics
* An ability to grasp a broad range of legal concepts, translating them into practical legal advice.
* The ability to draft legal documents that are clear and concise.
* The ability to project manage discrete elements of a transaction and help drive those matters forward.
* An aptitude for developing strong client relationships.
* A commitment to team work and collaboration with colleagues.
* The ability to operate effectively demonstrating Lexcel compliance, sound transactional and financial management.
* The ability to prioritise work and meet fee earning targets.
The successful candidate will have an interest in and flair for getting involved in marketing activities, including assistance with presentations for seminars, writing articles for sector journals, attending networking events and supporting Partner-led business development initiatives.
Learning and development
* Comply with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
* Attend appropriate departmental training sessions
* Attend appropriate internal courses (for example management and IT skills)
* Provide informal & formal training as appropriate (e.g. mentoring & internal team presentations)
Teamwork and collaboration
* Play an active role within the current team
* Supervise where required and take responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
* Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
* Work collaboratively across all offices
* Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
* Participate in VWV's knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know-how, expertise, documents and precedents
Client at the centre of the firm
* Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the Firm to the client for whom you are acting
* Provide accurate cost estimates for clients
* Update clients at regular intervals (at least 6 monthly)
* Bill clients accurately and at agreed times
* Comply with the Solicitors Accounts Rules
* Deal promptly with any working capital exercises
* Ensure any changes relating to the file are notified to the lawyer in charge of the file
* Demonstrate compliance with the Firm's quality standards and procedures
* Recognise the commercial objectives of our clients and give proportionate and appropriate advice.
* Achieve agreed targets as set out in business plan and/or budget, including hours and billing
* Introduce new clients to the Firm
* Contribute to appropriate business development activities of the team and the Firm
* Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
* Demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
* Develop personal profile and recognition throughout the Firm
* Demonstrate consistent compliance with the Firm's quality policies and procedures