6 months ago
The Business Development & Marketing Manager role exists to provide dedicated support to the IP/Tech Practice Group. You will be working with partners and leadership to develop client growth opportunities across a range of industry sectors. You will ensure that our marketing materials capture our unique value proposition and the wide range of service lines that the group offers to clients and use these to help our lawyers win new business.
You will be organised, efficient and used to operating independently. We are looking for someone who is good at spotting opportunities and mobilising to pursue them, bringing in support from the wider marketing and business development community as appropriate. It's a great opportunity to develop your Business Development & Marketing experience in a friendly experienced team who can help fast track your career to the next level.
The role itself is varied but will include:
* Working closely with the client and industry specialists to develop key clients of the practice through proactive relationship management, client and industry research and opportunity spotting.
* The successful candidate will also have direct responsibility for assisting in the effective running of 2-3 key IP/Tech client accounts and will have direct contact with the clients, particularly around feedback.
* Supporting practice campaigns, including developing internal and external messaging, roll-out and evaluation. There will be opportunities to take the lead on mid-sized marketing initiatives as well as gain experience as part of a team launching major thought leadership campaigns.
Support on pitches
* Supporting live pitches, through research and the collation, drafting and formatting of information in response to RFP or ITTs
* Take part in rehearsals
* Recording, tracking and analysing pitch activity, as well as undertaking direct feedback with the client
* Supporting the ongoing development of pitch/capability/CV templates through the effective and regular gathering, updating and central storage of standard content
* Working alongside the London events team to deliver a targeted programme of client seminars, roundtables, workshops for the IP/Tech group
* Supporting the practice group to identify and implement external profile raising opportunities, including the co-ordination of directory submissions (Chambers, Legal 500, ITR), award submissions and client alerts
* Supporting internal profile raising opportunities
* Leading on the deal collection process for league tables
* Maintaining mailing lists for the IP/Tech practice in InterAction
* Maintenance of the IP/Tech Business Development intranet page (SharePoint)
* Work with BD colleagues across the office to identify and promote opportunities for collaboration and continuous improvement
Other Business Development Activity
* Assisting with the development and preparation of annual business plans and budgets and monitoring progress throughout the year
* Supporting on practice and industry research, including internal fee analysis and external desk research for clients and markets/industries
* Coordinating internal business development meetings with fee earners, including running agendas, recording key actions and ensuring implementation of actions
* Responding to requests from the central London, EMEA and Global business development to assist with central client targeting and other cross-practice business development initiatives
* Responding to requests for information from other BD and Marketing professionals across the Baker McKenzie network
Our IP/Tech practice provides a wide variety of transactional and advisory services to leading organisations. The IP/Tech group support clients on major sourcing projects and M&A transactions in addition to a variety of e-commerce and new media issues such as content procurement, content distribution and licensing agreements and general commercial advisory work. The IP/Tech group helps the world's leading multinational companies in all aspects of the acquisition, protection, enforcement and exploitation of their IP rights. They provide a range of services including brand management and enforcement, IP management in the context of transactions, and IP litigation.
We are ranked top tier by Chambers UK for Outsourcing, Telecoms and IT, by Chambers Global for Technology & Communications, data protection and Outsourcing and by Legal 500 UK for IT & Telecoms and Commercial Contracts. We have been ranked Band 1 by Chambers Global in Intellectual Property for eight consecutive years (2009-16).
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
* Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, ranked 1st/Brand Index: 10
* The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
* The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
* Stonewall Workplace Equality Index: currently ranked 6th
* Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to online, please contact the Recruitment Team on eitheror email
For more information about this position or to discuss any adjustments you may require during the process please contact in confidence, Mona Rangar, Interim Recruitment Manager, onor emailPlease note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best with people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.
The ideal candidate will have the following key skills and competencies to perform this role:
* Several years work experience in a professional services environment, with experience gained in marketing and/or Business Development (Essential)
* Excellent academics, including a degree at 2.1 or above
* Strong project coordination and time management skills
* Demonstrate initiative and be a self starter
* Ability to deal with people at all levels, including partners and fee earners
* Able to present ideas and views clearly and with confidence
* Strong sense of commerciality
* Strong PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook skills
* Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm