8 months ago
(Monday - Friday; 9.30am - 5.30pm)
Senior BD Manager
Farrer & Co is an independent law firm, with a century's long history in advising private families, individuals, charitable institutions, the education sector and businesses.
We look to be the market leader in our chosen market sectors, advising clients on the contentious and non-contentious legal, business and personal issues they face.
Our reputation and success is based on the goodwill of numerous close client relationships. We are trusted advisers, acting in our clients' long-term interests and paying careful attention to quality, thoughtfulness and personal service.
Our clients tell us they value us for our integrity, good judgement and professional excellence. They also like our broad perspective, clever solutions and value for money.
The Marketing Team at Farrer & Co is responsible for the development and implementation of the firm’s marketing strategy, including profile and reputation, marketing communications, and business development. This also extends to all aspects of marketing planning, brand management, communications, events, CRM, business and market analysis, and business development, including pitches and tenders.
We represent successful private companies, professional practices and dynamic family businesses all over the world; as well supporting the personal and business needs of senior executives.
Our clients value our ability to offer commercial advice and execution, in parallel with a deep understanding of the private client world, the point where businesses ownership and management intersect. This blend of premium private and commercial expertise is rare. We understand the unique pressures to their business structure and we always advise with their broader long-term interests in mind.
The role will provide business development support for one of the firm's core client & sector groups, Businesses.
Working alongside the Marketing and Business Development team you will play a key role in creating a business development programme that is suitable both for the Firm’s brand and for the breadth of clients the Firm has. You will work closely with designated Partners and sector leaders, coaching and mentoring them to help drive revenues and increase profit margins. You will become a key business partner in the future development of those business areas.
Managing an appropriate activity programme in line with agreed growth objectives to build existing and new target client relationships: influencing and setting business strategy, identifying and reviewing potential targets and business opportunities in target markets, managing the pipeline of potential business, drawing trends and making recommendations for improvement from in-depth research and competitor analysis, leading the pitch process and driving cross-selling initiatives as well as helping to shape cross-firm projects, such as the pricing strategy.
Firm strategy and BD:
* Own the Firm’s business development strategy within designated market sectors, driving and monitoring focus on ROI across budgets - reviewing and negotiating sponsorships, events, etc.
* Identify new business development opportunities. You will act as a trusted advisor, coaching Partners and Fee Earners on business development, specifically around client service, strategic focus, growth opportunities, identifying and cross-selling services of the Firm.
* Improve sophistication of approach and analysis of client base/work being won, within designated business areas. Utilise the business intelligence available from analysis and financial data. In particular, testing that contribution levels are in line with expectations.
* Challenge and coach Partners on the opportunity versus investment (Go/No Go) bid strategy, to maintain focus on target markets and clients. Minimise the opportunity cost in pursuing inappropriate activity.
* Provide considered advice on pitch strategy in conjunction with Partners in competitive tender/proposal situations. Lead on the production and submission of strategic pitches. Coach Partners and Fee Earners in presentation rehearsals. Develop pitching collateral and messaging to differentiate the Firm.
* Conduct post tender de-briefs with key decision makers at prospective/existing clients. Capture and share best practice and lessons learned with the Management Board, Client partner, pitch team and K,L&D, making recommendations for improvements to the Client Partner.
* Identify business development skill gaps across Partners and Fee Earners. Work closely with K,L&D to shape and drive relevant business development training across the Firm to help improve performance.
* Mentor Partners and Fee Earners on individual or team client development plans and offer strategic support on business development activities.
* Manage practice area strategy plans and marketing budgets. Oversee that appropriate ROI measures are in place to ensure the success of business development activity. Identifying reporting improvements – collaborating with Finance and IT so that appropriate tools/reports are available to evaluate ROI where there are gaps.
Policies, procedures and projects:
* Develop, implement and review Key Client Relationship policies and systems. Drive and deliver this within designated market sectors.
* Monitor key accounts ensuring that client activities are thought through, planned and aligned to the team’s/Firm strategy. This will be done in conjunction to monitoring the financial performance of these clients. In particular, ensuring that client feedback is obtained generally and following key matters.
* Being a champion for the Firm's marketing systems. Leveraging the opportunities/analysis provided to the benefit of the clients and sector groups. Extract and present management information to group heads to inform strategy.
* Use business intelligence to provide detailed sector analysis and test regularly for market changes, for example SWOT and PESTLE. Evaluate, review and make recommendations on external supplier's service specification to ensure the Firm has access to the most appropriate reports/data. Direct the strategy for wider business intelligence across the sectors.
* Develop, implement and review business development policies, systems, processes and infrastructure across the Firm.
* Managing and contributing to wider BD projects as required.
The Marketing & BD Team:
* Work closely with other members of the Marketing team to ensure a consistent and joined-up approach in business development activities and the use of marketing communications.
* Playing an active role as a manager within the Marketing & BD team to ensure the team performs to the highest standards and is well regarded across the firm. Provides support & guidance to junior members of the team.
* Share knowledge, experience and best practice with colleagues in the Marketing team.
* Act as a mentor to Marketing & BD Executives and Administrators in support of all aspects of the firm's Business Development requirements.
The hours of work for this opportunity are 09:30am-5:30pm but it is essential to be committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond the normal office hours when necessary and in response to client demand.