about 1 month ago
THE REAL ESTATE TEAM
Taylor Wessing's Real Estate practice is a dynamic and exciting group with an extensive track record of having advised on some of the most high profile deals to have come to the market in recent years. We have the capacity, experience and capability to advise in relation to all of our clients' real estate needs, including owner-occupier, development, investment and management issues. We can service deals of any size or complexity.
We are one of the most highly regarded real estate practices providing expert advice across a whole range of commercial property activities. Our international offices work closely together to facilitate cross border investments from our clients around the world.. Our market leading reputation is widely acknowledged in the industry with our Real Estate team having recently won both 'Property Team of The Year' at the British Legal Awards in 2014, as well as 'Real Estate Team of The Year' at the Lawyer Awards in 2015. We are the only international law firm to have exclusively won both these awards in such close succession and these accolades demonstrate the strength of our practice and the innovation that we deliver to our clients.
The Real Estate group currently consists of 13 partners, 3 consultants, 3 senior counsel, 20 associates, 2 Senior PSL's, 5 trainees and 4 paralegals. The team is one of the most-wide ranging in the UK and is recognised as a leader in undertaking work across the whole real estate sector. Our sector expertise encompasses not only mainstream property law, but also landlord and tenant, construction, real estate disputes, planning and environmental law, tax, corporate structuring, private client and property finance.
Our Real Estate team has an enviable ability to adapt to market trends. Approximately half our real estate business comes from overseas investors. As inward investment from the US, Middle East and the Far East has grown significantly and the real estate market shifts, our practice has adapted to take advantage of this.
We have one of the largest real estate teams in London, meaning that we are able to advise on investment deals in excess of £100m and development deals with end values of approx. £500m.
The Real Estate Disputes team, lead by Saleem Fazal, is made up of 1 partner, 2 senior associates and a trainee. The team is recognised by both Chambers and Legal 500 :
The “phenomenally helpful” and commercial” Saleem Fazal is valued by clients for his
technical expertise and “excellent” legal knowledge, which one client identifies as “absolutely fundamental and critical” to the team’s success.
“This firm houses skilled professionals who instil confidence”
“Saleem Fazal is very much service-orientated and fills clients with confidence”
We are looking for an associate to join the team and undertake a wide range of real estate disputes work for clients in our focus areas. Work will include:
• Enforcing/defending claims for breach of leasehold covenants during the term including rent recovery
• Advising on contentious break options
• Dilapidations – interim and terminal claims
• Development disputes including land clearance
• Contentious and non-contentious lease renewals
• Possession proceedings
• Freehold disputes
• Third party rights – easements + restrictive covenants, including rights of light
• Business development including article writing for the quarterly newsletter
The team acts for a wide range of the firm's clients but also attracts clients in their own right which is a key objective.
We act for high profile clients, including Canada Life, McLaren, Prestbury / Secure Income REIT, PGIM, Tritax Big Box REIT, InfraRed Capital Partners and Brentford Football Club. These clients undertake deals which require a full service offering, comprising real estate, construction, planning, corporate structuring and bespoke tax advice. These clients return to us year on year for repeat advice, demonstrating the strength and depth of our practice.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Strong academic background with proven ability to learn
• Ambitious, confident, personable and outgoing - essential
• Good broad knowledge of landlord/tenant law and general real estate law
• Good knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules
• Ability to understand a client’s business and deliver commercially focussed advice
• An enthusiasm for participation in business development activities including article writing, delivering seminars and general networking
• Ability to work in conjunction with partners and senior associates, as well as independently
• 1-3 years pqe with a well-regarded commercial real estate disputes practice & admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales