BCL Legal is delighted to be assisting Simmons & Simmons with the recruitment of an Associate Solicitor to join their ICT team in Bristol.
The Information, Communications & Technology (ICT) practice group forms part of our wider Corporate & Commercial Group, and enjoys a leading reputation in the market. The ICT group works primarily for clients in Simmons & Simmons' key sectors, such clients representing some of the most well-known brands in those sectors, on the full range of technology, telecoms and sourcing transactions. It also provides related advisory services (such as data protection). It is a standalone team (rather than forming part of the Corporate team) and it has a strong track record of maintaining and growing its own client base. It works closely with most other groups in the firm (e.g. on corporate transactions) but most of the work within the group is self-generated.
The contract / transactional work undertaken by the ICT team includes the following, acting for both "suppliers" and "users":
· Outsourcing - IT, business process, HR, FM, F&A, communications, call centre and telecoms network.
· IT procurement - hardware, software licensing and development, data centre services and cloud computing.
· Telecoms - network build and operate arrangements, satellite, submarine cable and wireless systems.
· E-commerce - linking and affiliate deals and acquisition of content.
· Market data and electronic exchanges.
Our advisory expertise and experience includes:
· Data protection/privacy - advising on data security incidents, transfers of data outside the country of origin, recording/monitoring of communications, subject access requests, PCI DSS compliance and freedom of information.
· Telecoms and broadcasting regulation - advising on ownership controls, licence grant and conditions, market liberalisation, regulatory complaints and disputes and consumer protection issues.
· E-commerce - advising on e-commerce rules, distance selling regulations, electronic marketing and advertising, e-money competitions and gaming and defences to liability for ISPs.
· Media - advising on regulatory aspects of broadcasting and satellite services.
We are seeking an Associate to join the team in Bristol, although the role will support the UK team which is based in both London and Bristol.
You will work with and learn from Partners who are leaders in their field and Associates across other offices, as part of a collegiate and supportive international group.
You will have the opportunity to work on high-value and often high profile matters within a firm which has an excellent reputation for the quality of ICT work that it undertakes. In 2014 and 2015, the ICT team has been recognised by Legal Business and the British Legal Awards by being awarded "TMT Team of the Year". Since these awards, the team has been shortlisted for further TMT Team of the Year awards.
· You will have had some experience in handling general commercial contracts and some of the ICT transactional work described above during your training contract and/or since qualifying at a firm with a credible commercial/ICT practice. Experience in the advisory work described above would be welcome as well.
· You will ideally have between 0 - 4 post qualification experience;
· You will have excellent academics;
· You will have a strong client focus with the ability to work effectively as part of a diverse and inclusive team; and
· You will have a flexible approach to your work and a willingness to work additional hours as required and travel to London and internationally.
For further information, to apply or to discuss the role in confidence please contact Nicholas Fear at BCL Legal.
Nick is a Senior Associate in the private practice team at BCL Legal and specialises in assisting the leading law firms in the South West with recruitment into their corporate and commercial law teams.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.