5 months ago
We are looking for exceptional Associates (at junior-senior level) to join our market leading Employment Practice.
Our Employment team work with our clients on the full range of domestic and international employment issues. We work with a broad range of blue chip and global clients across a range of sectors, including financial services, TMT, IT, healthcare, transport, consumer products, publishing and retail.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding and leading London team working on high quality, varied and interesting work. This will include global projects and transactions, high profile domestic instructions, complex litigation and strategic HR advisory work.
If you have excellent academics and broad employment experience from a top-tier Employment practice we would be delighted to hear from you.
Our London team consists of more than 30 dedicated employment lawyers. We also work closely with our dedicated group of Employee Benefits lawyers and Immigration specialists and our Pensions Department. Working with both HR and in-house legal teams on day to day employment queries forms a significant part of our practice. Our lawyers also have recognised leading edge technical capabilities in areas such as discrimination, collective rights and workplace change (including TUPE, mergers and acquisitions, carve outs, restructurings, outsourcing, collective consultation, trade union issues and EWCs), litigation in the employment tribunals and appellate courts, High Court litigation and data privacy.
We are known for being commercial advisers with the experience and knowledge to deliver cost-effective, decisive and pragmatic advice. Our consistent first tier ranking in the legal directories reflects our determination to deliver the best possible results and outcomes for our clients. We achieve this by investing in development of our team of outstanding individuals, maintaining our leading edge expertise and working in close partnership with our clients. We believe our broad client base enables us to bring a different perspective and give more rounded advice to employers across different sectors.
Why join us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
* Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
* The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
* The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017: currently ranked 58th
* Stonewall Workplace Equality Index: currently ranked 6th
* Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
We look for excellent academics coupled with evidence of good quality training and strong employment experience gained from a leading employment practice.
The successful applicants will need a good commercial mind-set, be a strong team player and have the ability to build excellent relationships with clients.
Experience working as a Senior Associate or experience operating at Senior Associate level in the following areas is essential:
* Advising on when TUPE applies and relevant consequences
* Advising on TUPE information and consultation requirements
* Advising on related issues, for example, protection against dismissal, changing terms and conditions, the election of worker representatives and protective awards.
* Drafting and negotiating relevant provisions
* General transactional support including for complex carve outs and reorganisations
* Advising on when a redundancy situation arises and procedural requirements, including pooling, selection criteria and consultation requirements in the context of individual and collective processes.
* Advising on a range of day to day queries from clients, including: disciplinary and grievance procedures, sickness absence, performance management, whistleblowing issues, contract and policy reviews and Data Protection. This role will also include advising on terminations and the potential for a settlement agreement, drafting and negotiating settlement agreements.
* Leading on global or multi-jurisdictional projects such as implementing global or regional HR projects and transactions.
* Taking the lead in managing Employment Tribunal claims, including, preparing ET3 forms, preparing witness statements, considering merits and settlement.
* Advice on restrictive covenants
* High Court litigation e.g. injunctions