9 months ago
We are currently looking to recruit a bright and ambitious commercial litigation associate to join our team in Edinburgh.
The role will focus on involvement in high value and complex litigation disputes. Acting for a diverse client and sector base, the successful candidate will gain direct experience in all aspects of disputes avoidance, management and resolution of high quality highly complex disputes.
Recent examples of work undertaken by the team include:
* Representing INEOS in a judicial review challenging the decision of the Scottish Government to ban fracking in Scotland;
* Advising Airbus Helicopters in respect of the upcoming Fatal Accident Inquiry into the ditching of a helicopter at the Clutha Bar, Glasgow;
* Representing numerous national and international clients in responding to data breaches and other contentious privacy issues following the commencement of the General Data Protection Regulation in May 2017;
* Representing the Chinese State Oil Company in defending commercial proceedings in the Court of Session seeking multi-million sums raised by an international entity concerning the management of an oil platform in the North Sea;
* Health and Safety Regulatory advice in relation to building collapses, vehicle recall and FAIs; and
* Property litigation - all aspects to include dilapidations, keep open, Land Tribunal Applications and enforcement of missives.
The role will be based in our Edinburgh office, but will also require travel to our other offices from time to time.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties will include:
Candidates will have a broad diet of work, that will include, but not be limited to:
* Advising on all aspects of disputes avoidance, management and resolution of high quality highly complex disputes across a range of sectors
* Management of disputes and preparation of strategies for dealing with claims, be they by international arbitration, litigation, adjudication, expert determination or mediation
* Drafting, reviewing and amending a range of dispute related documents (ranging from pleadings to pre action letters)
* Strategically advising clients and managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
* Liaising and taking instruction from clients
* Attending client meetings
* Business development - development of a personal plan, assistance with and implementation of business development campaign
* Legal research
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
Commercially astute and stays current on key legal and business news
Excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team-working
Provides a professional, quality service in a timely manner, and responds effectively to requests from internal and external clients
Understands positive client support
Creates confidence in the team and the firm
Works co-operatively in a team, sharing information and knowledge
Manages time effectively and efficiently
Seeks to manage own utilisation wherever possible in order to meet individual and team targets
Takes ownership for achieving agreed objectives
Recognises and seizes opportunities for the firm, including repeat business
Builds and develops own network of internal and external contacts
Awareness of business development initiatives in the department and identifies ways to contribute
Maintains a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure
Exhibits behaviour consistent with the firm's values and builds relationships based on respect, trust and integrity
Exposure to, or experience of, advocacy within the Scottish legal system is highly desirable though not essential
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
At DLA Piper we are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
We offer exceptional career opportunities to our lawyers, aspiring graduates, and business services professionals in a truly challenging and rewarding environment.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment to you and where local legislation permits, we may conduct pre-employment screening that can include checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.