about 1 year ago
Assistant Case Handler
[Forward to a friend]
(37.5 per week, Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm + 1 late shift and Saturdays on a rota basis.)
Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Shoosmiths Private Client Conveyancing Team offers a highly professional conveyancing service designed to make the process of buying or selling property as efficient and stress-free for their clients.
Shoosmiths remains the largest firm of conveyancing solicitors accredited under the Law Society's Conveyancing Quality Scheme. The conveyancing service provided by our Private Client Practice maintains the same high standards corporate clients have come to expect of Shoosmiths and is consistently commended in national consumer service awards.
We are looking for Assistant Case Handlers who will assist in providing a quality and comprehensive conveyancing service with a customer service focus. The position will be in a trainee capacity, with the view to progress to a Case Handler role responsible for own caseload, therefore previous Residential Conveyancing experience is not required as training will be provided.
* Acquire basic knowledge of the entire Conveyancing process to include post completion work and be familiar with the roles of support teams such as New Business and Accounts in the process.
* Supporting Case Handlers to progress the administration of transactions proactively with all key stakeholders in the process.
* Assisting Case Handlers in keeping referral reports up to date on a daily basis.
* To ensure that files are kept tidy and case progression plans are kept up to date.
* Issue regular milestone reports to clients and estate agents.
* Prepare draft contract packages, all searches, exchange and completion letters.
* Deal with client queries wherever possible assisting the team with taking and making telephone calls to include initial client calls.
* Attend any training sessions arranged by the Department at the reasonable request of a Team Manager.
* Deal with basic pre contract enquiries on sale transactions.
* Competently draft non standard non-technical correspondence.
* Attend to any office administration requested such as dealing with post, filing, file closures and distributing faxes.
Skills and qualifications
The ideal candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills gained from previous experience working in a customer service position, preferably in an office environment. You will enjoy working as part of a team and also adaptable to the changing requirements of the range of clients dealt with.
You will be passionate about helping people and like to be thoroughly organised to prioritise work independently. A legal qualification (LLB, CILEX, CLC, etc.) is not an essential requirement, but you must be able to demonstrate a keen interest in conveyancing and property law.
Essential knowledge & skills:
* Excellent customer service expertise
* Good written, numeracy and oral communication skills.
* Accuracy and attention to detail.
* IT literate including sound knowledge of Word, Excel and the internet.
* Ability to prioritise, be organised and efficient.
* Flexibility with the capability to adapt to change, new practices and cope under pressure but with the ability to recognise when to seek assistance.
* Able to integrate within a team and able to work on your own initiative.
* Friendly and helpful approach.
Desirable knowledge and skills:
* Prior experience within a law firm, financial services/mortgage provider, estate agency or other property-related organisation.
* Basic knowledge of the conveyancing life-cycle (including post-completion).
* Legal qualification such as LLB, CILEX or CLC.
You may also have experience in one of the following roles: Conveyancing Assistant, Property Assistant, Estate Agent, Sales Progressor, Mortgage Advisor, Customer Service Assistant, Sales Negotiator, or Residential Property Paralegal.
Shoosmiths has an outstanding benefits package; we believe that all staff should be rewarded for their commitment to the continued success of the firm. These can include:
* A pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5.5%
* Generous life assurance cover for peace of mind, up to 8 times salary
* Up to 23 paid working days holiday per annum with the option to buy up to 8 additional days. You can choose to 'flex' twice a year - January and July
* 'Happy Birthday!' - have a free day off to celebrate and a £50 voucher to spend! (We won't take it from your annual entitlement)
* Childcare vouchers which are not subject to tax or NI
* Interest free season ticket loans
* Staff introduction bonus scheme
* Corporate discounts on a wide variety of products and services
* Discounted conveyancing and legal advice, for instance for wills and family trusts
The application process
If successful, you will be contacted by a member of our recruitment team to attend an interview at our Northampton office.
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
< Back to available positions