6 months ago
Accounts Assistant (Legal Cashier)
The cashering team is responsible for managing and maintaining the books and records of all Shepherd & Wedderburn LLP group companies to include all general ledger and client ledger transactions.
The objectives of the Accounts Assistant will include, but not be limited to, all duties as noted in this document, whilst at all times ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements (HMRC VAT rules, The Law Society of Scotland Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and The Solicitors Regulation Authority Accounts Rules 2011).
You will be expected to be able to accurately and efficiently undertake all standard legal cashiering duties, to include;
* Allocating and processing all bank receipts (Client & Office Account).
* Reviewing and setting up all electronic payment types (CHAPS, BACS, FastPay & International) on the firm’s various electronic banking platforms (HBOS Corporate online, RBS Bankline). This will also involve a thorough review to ensure all Anti-Money Laundering requirements have been met prior to processing payments.
* Process various accounting transactions to the firm’s financial management system including all payments, receipts, transfers and bill payments for both client & office accounts. This will also include all disbursement transfers, bill reversals and third party cheques as well as dealing with the firm’s bulk transactional uploads throughout the day.
* All opening, closing and day to day transactional movement in relation to the firm’s client designated bank accounts using various banking providers’ products (HBOS iSite, RBS CMS).
* Reviewing all internal cheque requests and ensuring that these are all authorised and cheques produced within the firm’s agreed policies & timescales.
* Carrying out all remedial action required on outstanding items as identified by the daily bank reconciliation process. This will include investigating and resolving any unmatched items, cancelling any cheques which are over 6 months old and returning unallocated funds as per the firm’s agreed internal procedures.
* Preparation and submission of the firm’s daily cheque & cash banking.
* Running the firm’s monthly client account system interest calculator as well as any daily ad-hoc interest calculations that may be required from time to time.
* Handling the firm’s petty cash requirements including daily reconciliations and arranging for balance top-ups as and when required.
* Working directly with Directors / Partners / Fee Earners and various other staff as required on all aspects of client or firm transactions.
* To accurately file all working documentation within the various cashroom filing locations both online and manually as directed.
* Attending team meetings and contributing to any group discussions on cashroom procedures and ensuring all process documentation is kept up-to-date at all times.
* To assist with all ad-hoc departmental duties which may arise from time to time.
* Previous experience as a Legal Cashier in a high volume transactional team is desirable.
* Knowledge of the Law Society of Scotland and SRA Solicitors’ Accounts Rules is desirable.
* Enthusiasm, accuracy and a sharp eye for detail will be essential.
* Knowledge and understanding of current HMRC VAT regulation and Anti-Money Laundering Regulations 2017 would be beneficial.
* Comfortable working as part of a team but also able to perform to your own initiative when required.
* Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable communicating clearly both verbally and in writing.
* You’ll be confident in your own judgement and skills, but also able to know when it’s necessary to call upon the help and expertise of others.
* It is essential that you have strong organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure in a busy and demanding environment to strict timescales will be fundamental.
* A working knowledge of the Aderant practice management system is desirable but not essential.
* You will be proficient with Word, Excel and Outlook.
* We are looking for someone who is flexible and reliable, who has a pro-active “can-do” attitude and a drive to succeed within our wider Cashroom team.
We are looking for someone who is flexible and reliable, who has a pro-active “can-do” attitude and a drive to succeed within our wider Cashroom team.
A full job specification is attached.
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to a credit check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.