3 months ago
Accounts Assistant (Legal Cashier)
We are recruiting for an Accounts Assistant to join the Cashroom team based in our Edinburgh office. This role is full time and permanent.
The Accounts Assistant will undertake Legal Cashier duties, including allocating all bank receipts, reviewing and setting up on various electronic banking products CHAPS, BACS, Faster payment and International payment requests, whilst ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements (HMRC VAT rules, the Law Society or Scotland and the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority Accounts Rules).
Main Duties will include:
* Accurately and efficiently undertaking Legal Cashier duties, including allocating all bank receipts, reviewing and setting up on various electronic banking products CHAPS, BACS, Faster payment and International payment requests. This will also involve a thorough review to ensure all Anti-Money Laundering requirements have been met prior to processing payments.
* Within the agreed timescales, process a number of accounting transactions to the firm’s financial management system including:
* office payment and receipt transactions
* client payment and receipt transactions
* inter-a/c bank transfers
* To be responsible for the accurate opening, closing and maintenance of client designated bank accounts using the firm’s banking providers’ software.
* To be responsible for ensuring clients funds are lodged and uplifted from designated bank accounts (including joint deposit accounts) timeously and accurately.
* To ensure that internal cheque requests received are reviewed, authorised and processed within the required timescales.
* To be responsible for performing daily Bank Reconciliations. This includes the investigation and resolution of any unmatched items, the cancelling of any cheques, which are over 6 months old and the returning of unreconciled funds to the Bank as required by Law Society of Scotland/ Solicitors Regulation Authority Accounts Rules.
* To exercise a thorough knowledge and understanding of HMRC VAT and the Anti-Money Laundering Regulations 2007 requirements.
* To be responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of Client and Firm bank account, firm credit card and other control account reconciliations both weekly and monthly, ensuring any reconciling items are resolved timeously and accurately.
* To be responsible for the accurate reconciliation of all client designated accounts on a monthly basis, with any anomalies investigated and corrected timeously.
* To run various daily/weekly compliance reports, taking appropriate action as required in order to comply with the Law Society of Scotland and the Solicitors Regulation Authority Accounts Rules.
* To run various reports regarding client balances, disbursements and other Cashroom related items, analyse and rectify any issues occurring from these reports.
* To liaise with Directors/ Partners/ other staff as required on any aspect of client or firm transactions.
* To accurately file documentation stored within the Cashroom as requested.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role.
We are looking for someone with strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with the cashroom team and fee earners, and who has the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. The successful candidate will be flexible and reliable: a self-starter, enthusiastic, accurate, with excellent attention to detail, demonstrating strong organisational skills and the ability to manage a busy workload to strict timescales.
A full job specification is attached.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter via below link. Please note that we can only consider applications from those who have also completed our diversity monitoring questionnaire, so please also complete that by following the link below.
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to a credit check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.