12 months ago
Our Corporate team is expanding and we are looking for an experienced Corporate Lawyer to join them. Working with a range of clients, including banks & finance houses; charities & social enterprises and SME's the successful candidate will be advising on a broad range of areas, and working with a number of experts across the firm.
Veale Wasbrough Vizards is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.
About the Team
Our Corporate team is made up of 11 Partners and 21 other corporate lawyers and professionals across Offices. We work collaboratively across offices in an open plan environment.
To become an integral member of the Corporate Team, be willing and able to accept responsibility at an early stage, lead and manage own smaller transactions and matters under appropriate supervision, and to support other team members on larger transactions and matters.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
A role for a solicitor wishing to undertake general corporate work within the Corporate Team. This will include sales and purchases of shares and assets, management buy outs and buy ins, joint ventures and shareholders agreements, venture capital and private equity investments, partnership and LLP work, company secretarial advice and support, re-organisations and related advice, and general corporate advisory work.
The role will also involve supporting the London and Watford Corporate Teams, as well as other teams within the firm where corporate support is required (e.g. Tax, Banking, Employment, Commercial Property etc.).
The candidate should be self-disciplined and able to manage their own matters (where appropriate under supervision), able to prioritise and manage projects, and work with other advisory teams (such as Corporate Finance advisors and accountants etc.) The successful candidate will be actively encouraged to take part in networking and other marketing activities.
The successful candidate will:
* communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
* draft documents that are clear and concise
* have effective project, prioritisation and transaction management skills
* support and lead negotiations where appropriate
* research the relevant legal issues applicable to a matter
* develop strong client relationships and relationships with members of advisory teams
* interview and advise clients, helping them decide the best course of action
* have good advocacy and present orally when required
Advise on corporate matters including include sales and purchases of shares and assets, joint ventures and shareholders agreements, management buy outs and buy ins, venture capital and private equity investments, partnership and LLP work, company secretarial advice and support, re-organisations and related advice, and general corporate advisory work.
* contribute to business development for the corporate practice generally including attending networking events and supporting partner led business development initiatives
* join and become involved in sectors as appropriate, such as Healthcare, Education, Technology, Family Business, Aerospace & Defence
* the successful candidate will be given the chance to attend "Lawyer-in-Residence" sessions at SETsquared Bristol, the global no.1 University Business incubator for high-growth potential tech start-ups and scale-ups
* where appropriate, lead specific business development initiatives
* promote own skills within wider firm
Teamwork and Collaboration
* play an active role within the Corporate Team
* involve secretaries and other staff in an effective way, delegating where appropriate
* take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance when matters are unclear or knowledge is uncertain
* participate in Veale Wasbrough Vizards' knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know how, expertise, documents and precedents
Financial Management (under partner supervision)
* provide / contribute to accurate cost estimates
* update clients on costs regularly and bring variations/increases to their attention with explanations
* bill clients accurately at agreed times
* achieve agreed targets (including hours and billing)
Comply with the firm's quality standards and procedures
Undertake training activity to develop technical knowledge and achieve CPD