5 months ago
Structured Finance Group (SFG) Associate
Linklaters specialises in advising the world’s leading companies, financial institutions and governments on their most challenging transactions and assignments. With offices in major business and financial centres, we deliver an outstanding service to our clients anywhere in the world. The structured finance team is part of our market-leading capital markets practice.
SFG is a unique group which combines skill-sets from capital markets, banking, derivatives, insolvency and securitisation practices to be able to deliver for our clients on some of the most innovative, complex, and high-profile transactions in the UK and Europe. This is not a commoditised securitisation practice; it is a cutting-edge finance group offering an unrivalled opportunity for outstanding lawyers to build their CV with the transactions that make the front page of the newspapers.
Examples include acting for the winning bidder on the £14bn purchase of the failed Northern Rock Bank from the UK Government; leading the financing and structuring the £4.2bn Thames Tideway Project (essential infrastructure for London), which included negotiating new legislation and an adapted regulatory regime; the restructuring of Punch Taverns (described as “the most complicated UK corporate debt restructuring ever”); the creation and structuring of Covered Bonds in Singapore (never previously done).
We are seeking outstanding lawyers from finance or corporate backgrounds who have the talent, flexibility and passion to join this cutting-edge practice and to structure and deliver more firsts for our clients.
In London, the Structured Finance Group has 7 Partners, 2 Counsel, 10 Managing Associates, 16 Associates and 12 trainees. We are as proud of our culture as of our legal work. We operate a flat structure and are friendly, inclusive and supportive. We expect you to be collegiate, open and as passionate about supporting your team as about the work itself.
Key Responsibilities and Challenges
* A sophisticated understanding of legal concepts and the ability to apply these to transactions in a pragmatic fashion
* Exceptional drafting skills and a willingness to accept the challenge of drafting beyond precedents
* The ability to understand the commercial objectives and legal constraints to review and negotiate complex documents with common sense to achieve client aims
* A willingness to dive in and accept the challenge of learning about UK law and market practice (across various markets).
Client and Business Development
* You will be in a client facing roles and will need to be able to provide clear, comprehensible and correct legal advice under pressure
* Delivering for clients in a consistently calm, professional and pragmatic manner in a way that places the client at the centre
* A likeable, open and honest approach consistent with our culture and a “can-do” attitude
* Ability to work within and lead teams; inspiring through confidence, competence, dedication and a collegiate approach
* Calmness and an ability to remain calm and supportive in a high pressure environment
* Delivering practice specific training to the Group on topics that are of interest to you and relaying topical points from transactions you have been working on
* Coaching less experienced associates and trainees
* In return you will benefit from the support of two dedicated professional support lawyers; comprehensive training, including SFG specific e-learning and junior workshops.
Please note this role will be open from 26th September 2017 to 26th October 2017. A competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Structured Finance Group
Skills/ Experience/ Qualifications Required
Characteristics, Skills & Experience required
* We are looking for candidates who are NQ up to two years’ post qualification experience
* We are looking for candidates with experience in finance and/or corporate but most importantly candidates that are flexible in approach and determined to learn
* Exceptional inter-personal skills
* Organisational skills
* Exceptional technical ability
* Innovative and pragmatic
* Team player
* Willingness to learn – to adapt and expand existing knowledge base
* Proactive and enthusiastic
* Commercially minded
* Motivates others
The firm operates as a meritocracy and, therefore, selection for recruitment is on merit, irrespective of gender, race or ethnicity, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. This assumes that the applicants are fit and able to undertake the job.
Selection decisions, and the reasons for those decisions, are recorded in writing at each stage of the selection process.
Selection criteria and, where appropriate, technical skills tests are in place to measure an individual’s ability for the safe and effective performance of a job.
Those involved in recruitment, selection and dealing with the public are provided with training and guidance in administering equal opportunities.
Apply for job
Send to a friend