An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Newly Qualified Solicitor to join our motor defence team. The role of Newly Qualified Solicitor will involve having your own busy caseload.
Geoffrey Miller Solicitors is a renowned national motoring law firm with our Headquarters in our fabulous new offices in Media City, Manchester. We are in our 17th year of trading and are considered a market leader of the motoring law industry. We consistently achieve phenomenal success rates in our cases and are known for our innovative business development and marketing strategies. Our success has also derived from our high service and case preparation standards.
We are looking for candidates who share the firm's unique vision for success from day one although training and support will be provided.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
· To have conduct of a busy Motor Offence Defence caseload under minimal supervision.
· Take new enquiry calls, advising and converting those enquiries in accordance with realistic targets
· Advising clients on all aspects including technical issues, costs, penalties
· Applying appropriate law, procedures and firm strategy relevant to the type of case.
· Full use of the case management system (Proclaim), house style, office procedures and working in a self-supporting fashion where appropriate.
· Instructing experts and Counsel
· Reviewing, analysing and advising upon evidence received
· Drafting representations in relation to taxed Central Funds Bills
· To complete the required amount of Common Professional Development
· To assist in networking activities, marketing projects and in promoting the profile of the firm
· To consistently meet Key Performance Indicators relevant to the role on a monthly basis, including chargeable time targets
Person Specification, knowledge and experience:
· Qualified Solicitor with Law degree/equivalent; CPE; LPC; PSC; or equivalent
· General criminal law experience, or advanced modules in criminal law / training seats in criminal law
· Experience as a paralegal or trainee in motoring law would be ideal
· Must be fully computer literate and able to do all own typing
· Experience in using case management software packages
Personal qualities of special importance:
· To adopt the “Client is King” ethos in every aspect of work
· An excellent written and oral communicator using laymen’s terms only, with a modern approach to client care
· A clear and straightforward advocacy style although advocacy will be a secondary part of the role
· Ability to run a fast paced case load with minimal supervision and maintain the firm’s high standards in all areas
· Identify relevant issues, think laterally and strategically, and apply appropriate law
· Conciliatory but firm approach to dealings with opponents
· Have excellent time management and organisational skills to be able to work quickly and efficiently
· Be able to work independently and confidently, with a positive attitude
· Cope well under pressure as part of a fast paced team in this demanding role
· Excellent attention to detail, specifically in relation to written and grammar skills
· Commercial awareness
· Empathy for clients and a genuine desire to help those who face prosecution
· Be a reliable team player with a friendly and respectful attitude towards work companions of all levels and status
· Ability to work well within an open plan environment
· Enthusiasm towards networking and building on the success of the business.
· Understanding of the laws of attraction/positive mindset
What we can offer the right candidate
· A highly respected niche firm that offers clients impeccable service
· Friendly and supportive team environment
· Competitive salary and benefits package
· We are a Living Wage Employer
· Excellent rewards scheme based on realistic targets
· Training and development, as well as clear career progression
Working Hours: 9am-5pm although flexibility outside of these hours is expected.
How to apply:
· In less than 1,000 words, please tell us why you are right for this firm and explain how your experience (through your training contract, employment, academic, work experience, extracurricular) demonstrate that you meet the criteria for this role (both the person specification and personal qualities). Please give specific examples for each.