To handle a wide variety of pre-litigation and litigated cases where fraud is suspected. The expectation is that the successful candidate will have experience of handling claims at all levels within the Scottish court system and will have a sound knowledge of Scottish legal procedure. Experience of handling fraudulent claims would be advantageous but is not essential as fraud training will be provided.
The successful candidate will report into the team Supervisor and Partner.
As part of the fee earning aspect of this role, candidates are expected to:
• handle a varied caseload of pre-litigated but mainly litigated work covering the above types of claim with an appropriate level of supervision, across a variety of clients;
• assume responsibility for quality control and benchmark compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information.
• ensure strict and ongoing adherence to benchmark standards in all work undertaken.
• To hit, maintain and apply a consistent approach to all individual targets of chargeable time, financial performance, realisation rates, success rates and average savings.
• Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1,440 chargeable hours per year.
• Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. attending marketing events and client training.
• Build an awareness of the Firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
• Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and comply with the Law Society of Scotland CPD requirements.
• Assist in designing and delivering in-house and external training and know how sessions on relevant issues and/or key developments in the Fraud field
• Act as a role model for best practice in communication both within the team and with other areas of the department/firm.
• Complete ad hoc projects as delegated by the Team Manager/Partner.
• Promote the team's achievements.
Technical Skills & Experience
• Qualified Solicitor with experience of litigating in the Scottish courts
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Excellent legal drafting skills
• Confident negotiating skills
• IT literate with good knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of a case management system is also essential as are good keyboard skills
• Ability to work autonomously on high volumes of work
• An ability to adopt a commercial perspective to legal issues but is also able to see the commercial impact beyond one individual claim.
• From a fee earning perspective, the ability to work to and consistently achieve targets, an organised, measured and systematic way of working and an ability to work under pressure.
• Client focused with an ability to manage build strong relationships with client and third party contacts at all levels
• Able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
• Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
• Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
• Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential
• Able to progress tasks using own initiative, seeking guidance and input from Partner/Supervisor where appropriate
• Confident oral and written communication skills
• Confident negotiator and communicator
• A drop everything for the team attitude.
• Flexible with a positive attitude to change, both internally and in the context of clients' business.
• An ability to work closely with the Team Manager and team partner.
The Counter Fraud Team is part of the Claims Solutions Group and deals with potentially fraudulent claims with a focus on predominantly motor, employer’s liability and public liability work. It is one of the largest dedicated fraud teams in the UK, comprising of over 100 lawyers and underpinned by an Intelligence Team of 30 staff. Our Counter Fraud Team lawyers are based in Birmingham, Newcastle and uniquely also has fraud teams based in Ireland and Scotland. Acting for the largest market share of clients ranging from large insurers to Lloyds Syndicates, retailers and corporates we work with clients across all lines of business. This underpins a comprehensive intelligence database to assist in the front end detection and prevention of fraud.
The type of work includes:-
• Minimal Impact Cases – Low Speed/Significant Trauma Cases
• Phantom Passengers
• Contrived Claims
• Semi-staged / Staged Claims
• Grossly Exaggerated Claims
• Ringed and Organised Fraud claims
The management team consists of 6 Partners, 5 Associates, 1 Head of Intelligence and 14 other managers/supervisors. The team itself is comprised of solicitors, legal executives, paralegals and intelligence analysts.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.