4 months ago
Role Profile Level 3
4 years +
(Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30 pm)
Litigation, Transaction and Advisory
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK 2017, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our national Speciality Insurance team provides litigation and advisory services to the insurance industry. The team is experienced in handling claims across a diverse range of professional disciplines, coverage and reinsurance issues. We act on behalf of insurers, professional practices and regulatory bodies, and we have particular experience in dealing with the legal, brokerage, construction and financial services sectors. Members of our team regularly deal with high profile and sensitive issues with far reaching implications and litigate cases in which landmark decisions are reached. We have helped to resolve claims worth over £100m by means of mediation during the last year.
The London Litigation team undertakes a broad range of substantial, challenging and largely contentious work, and this role will focus primarily on insurance and re-insurance disputes, mainly in the London Market. Experience of insurance litigation, coverage issues and disputes and good knowledge of the CPR essential.
Main duties and responsibilities
* Manage one’s own caseload of such cases
* Assist the partners and associates with their caseloads and support business development initiatives.
* Reviewing and drafting of various documents and correspondence
* Liaise with clients, insurers and other parties
* Achieve set financial and chargeable targets
* Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KIPS are adhered to
* Comply with relevant policies and procedures, including MI
* Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role
The person specification
* Experience of insurance litigation, coverage issues and disputes and good knowledge of the CPR is essential
* Understanding of commercial insurance policies, the insurance market, reporting arrangements, reserving philosophies, and the relationship between brokers, underwriters/insurers and lawyers
* Previous secondment to an insurance client would be advantageous
* Ability to work to deadlines and targets and work under pressure
* Ability to work as part of a team and on one’s own initiative
* Excellent communication skills
* Excellent IT skills
* Ability to work to deadlines and targets and to work under pressure
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.