6 months ago
Role Profile Level 3
(Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm)
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved several top rankings in Chambers UK 2016, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our specialist Healthcare team covers all aspects of healthcare and related areas of law and practice, including child law, clinical negligence, clinical governance, consent to treatment, healthcare advisory and mental health. We provide a supportive, proactive service based on a deep understanding of NHS procedures and the social/political background of public healthcare. Our expert team includes doctors and nurses among other health professionals, all with specialist medical knowledge in key areas.
The ethos of the team is to work hard for our clients so that we secure the right outcome for them. In so doing we improve our technical skills and enhance our ability to meet the clients’ needs as they evolve.
The healthcare sector is fast moving and the challenge of working for our clients provides very interesting work.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated to develop their own and our teams’ practices.
We provide a supportive environment in which to work hard.
We are recruiting a Solicitor or equivalent experienced case handler to undertake all tasks involved with managing a litigated clinical negligence caseload.
Main duties and responsibilities
* Conduct investigations in order to determine liability and quantum risks
* Liaise with all the interested parties including witnesses, experts etc
* Obtain and review relevant medical records and policies
* Instruction of experts: liability and quantum.
* Written advice in accordance with client protocols for approval by Nominated Partner.
* Attend in person meetings away from the office
* Achieve fees and chargeable hours targets
* Mentor/supervise more junior colleagues (where applicable)
* Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
* Complete Management Information procedures as and when required
* Adhere to client protocols and Service Level Agreements
* Compliance with relevant deadlines, quality measures and key progress indicators
* Comply with Firm’s relevant policies and procedures
* Contribute to profile-raising and business development initiatives
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
The person specification
We have more than one role available and so level of experience may vary for suitable candidates.
* We will consider applications from NQ up to 7 year PQE or equivalent experience
* Experience of clinical negligence work or maximum severity claims, preferably for a defence organisation.
* Genuine and demonstrable interest in healthcare sector
* Strong knowledge of CPR procedures and with proven technical ability
* Good communication skills
* Disciplined time management and organisation skills
* Ability to multi-task and prioritise to meet deadlines
* Flexible approach
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.