• Working within our Leeds SHE team you will both assist senior fee earners and run your own defence case load encompassing a range of regulatory issues with supervision and support from partners and associates
• You will have some experience of regulatory work – ideally, this will include advising on any of the following - health and safety incident investigations, interviews under caution, prosecutions, environmental breaches, breaches of trading standards, food law and/or fire safety. Candidates with experience of financial services regulation will also be considered. Inquest experience is beneficial
• The work will include managing a range of contentious and non-contentious regulatory issues for a variety of clients.
• The lawyer will be required to handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols with supervision. Act as a point of contact for clients, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
• Demonstrate sound file management – to include compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols and any client protocols as required; consistent and accurate billing and credit control; management of WIP and file closures; updating Management Information
• Assume responsibility for quality control and benchmark compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of management reporting and information
• Aim to achieve a minimum budgeted annual target of 1440 chargeable hours per year
• Employ a consistent approach to achieving individual targets of financial performance including realisation rates
• Maintain an understanding of other practice areas and an active internal network with other fee earners, associates and partners across the firm and ensure that own profile is maintained within the firm to facilitate cross-referral of work and support the firm’s integrated services strategy
• Assist with business development activities with a view to establishing new revenue streams for the firm. Where appropriate assist in the preparation and delivery of pitches, presentations and training events.
• Build an awareness of DAC Beachcroft's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
• Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols
• 2-5 PQE Solicitor with experience gained within a regulatory and commercially focused environment.
• Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
• Willingness to travel at short notice in order to assist clients to manage situations on the ground as they happen
• Demonstrate knowledge and technical skills as well as a commercial understanding of the client’s business
• Some relevant experience in advising upon and defending companies/ individuals relating to a broad range of regulatory breaches.
• Display a willingness (and ideally previous experience) of business development activities
• Excellent commercial understanding and awareness
• The ability to deliver services to our clients which are both of high quality and value for money
• Excellent legal drafting, analytical and negotiating skills
• Demonstrate ability and exceed budgetary requirements in terms of both time and fee income
• Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
• Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
• Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Team oriented. A collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with both senior and junior colleagues across different locations and practice groups is essential
• IT literate with good knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge/previous experience of a case management system is also essential as are good keyboard skills
Full driving license
We employ over 25 specialist lawyers in our Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) team, one of the largest in the UK. The team operates from a number of key locations, including Bristol, where we are looking to recruit an experienced solicitor or outstanding NQ into our busy team. The work includes advising insurers, public sector and corporate clients in relation to investigations and prosecutions by a wide range of regulators including the Police, Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency, Environmental Health and Trading Standards We deal with all aspects of advice and defence. We are currently instructed in a number of corporate manslaughter cases and investigations.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.