7 months ago
Are you experienced in co-ordinating a wide range of projects? We have an opportunity here at CMS during this exciting time of change if so.
About the role
The Programme Management Office plan, design, track, monitor and often project manage many of the large scale initiatives within the Firm. This can of course be IT projects but are also often to do with process and cultural change, facilities/office developments and to meet changes in regulation and governance.
All projects will utilise a number of stakeholder groups to complete the delivery such as the IT Department, external suppliers, key stakeholder/user groups and other project management services and resources.
The projects are co-ordinated and managed referencing a Framework that encompasses all these stakeholder groups and is dynamic in terms of what processes, steps, gateways and deliverables are deemed appropriate for each project.
The Programme of Work is high-profile within the Firm and reports progress to the Board and a number of Executive and Management Groups. The Programme usually consists of a workbook of around 40 active projects.
The scope and role of the Programme Management Office and its resources has increased due to a number of business drivers and therefore we are making the above role a full-time and permanent one.
The role reports directly to the Head of Programme Development, is based from the Edinburgh Office (with frequent travel to UK offices). It is high profile in a very demanding environment working on interesting and diverse sets of projects.
The main purpose of the role is to act as a central co-ordination point to the other nominated project leads/stakeholders, to be able to plan, manage and report on the various underlying tasks and commitments and be the main liaison point to the internal IT resources and processes.
Your responsibilities will include:
The firm is seeking a Senior Project Co-ordinator to manage tasks, resources, and deliverables within the Programme of Work.
The focus of this role will be to monitor the programme of work and for each key milestone, delivery or risk/issue ensure appropriate progress reports, resourcing and technical deliverables are co-ordinated to ensure a smooth development/delivery.
To ensure that the related programme and project documentation is kept up to date and part of the role will be to collate and consolidate this.
To closely work with the other nominated project leads and co-ordinators throughout the Programme on a daily basis, escalating key decisions needed, issues, actions to the senior management team as and when required.
The role assumes that the candidate will have an extensive knowledge and experience of the main stages of a project and how technical work can be broken down into phases, milestones and tasks. The ability to work in a dynamic environment liaising between many stakeholder groups in a structured and methodical manner is essential. The role also assume a good technical knowledge of infrastructure elements and software configuration and deployment.
Preparing and reviewing the various programme and project management tracking tools, interpreting information and acting upon it with both technical, business and management resources.
Being highly visible to the stakeholder groups and presenting a summary of the whole programme to the Executive on a fortnightly basis.
* Reviewing, communicating and maintaining programme and project plans and associated management documentation with the nominated project leaders or task owners.
* Daily tracking of pending deliverables and co-ordinating between the various parties who are tasked with that delivery.
* Using the Programme of Work Framework to log and track progress and escalate issues and risks in a timely manner.
* Aid the project managers and task owners in their task management and documentation.
* Ensuring work elements are run to a consistent and standardised approach where the aims and the objectives of all projects are met by following a standardised methodology.
* Ensuring that relevant stakeholders receive the status of the projects to an agreed schedule.
* Become familiar with the key project documents including data and architecture schematics, functional, technical and entity relationship specifications, process diagrams.
* Help to create milestone and UAT test plans and test scenario/data.
* Create a method by which to measure the stated benefits of each of the key work items.
* Call, email, visit – chase – on a daily basis to get the information required to ensure both the deliverables are tracked but that each of the project teams has the resources they require to meet those deadlines/objectives.
* Quality assurance and overall integrity of the programme - focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the programme; and outwardly on its coherence with infrastructure planning, interfaces with other programmes and corporate technical and specialist standards;
* Checking incoming invoices against work completed and being part of the overall budget management process.
* Highlighting the dependencies and the interfaces between projects.
* Working very closely with and aiding PMO Admin, wherever needed.
Qualifications & Experience
* Experience in a busy IT department within a complex business/ industry (Law firm preferable).
* Exposure to project management approaches/techniques.
* Full understanding of technical lifecycle development, roll out and upgrades.
* Been fully involved in planning and executing POC, UAT or any other form of proving/testing phases.
* Experience of leading a development project from inception through to adoption.
* Proven record of technical deliveries against an agreed plan.
* Experience of applications such as: Document Management, Finance, HR, CRM, Workflow, SharePoint, Knowledge Management
* Experience/understanding of key infrastructure components such as:
WAN/LAN, storage, physical and virtual servers, database access
* Daily exposure/high capability to Microsoft Office products and also Visio, Microsoft Project
Skills & Knowledge
* Understanding of the financial costs and anticipated returns that any technical project has on the users and business as a whole.
* You will need to understand the technical aspects of the deliveries to a level that you can collate information about them and track their phased delivery and roll-out.
* Ability to make and take responsibility for areas of the programme and to create a good working bond with the task/project owners.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills with proven ability to communicate to diverse audiences of all levels. An eye for detail and quality is essential.
* The ability to work in a team and to also be able to work unsupervised to tight deadlines.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested, please apply online.
Alternatively, contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, with any specific queries.