4 months ago
SENIOR BANKING LAWYER – ANY UK OFFICE
Purpose of the role
The Senior Banking Lawyer will work along-side Lucy Shurwood to sell and deliver technology-led services to our bank clients (potentially expanding to other clients in the FS Sector over time). The lawyer's primary responsibility will be to lead the day-to-day delivery of transactions and services of the type Banking & Restructuring have been doing in relation to loan portfolio sales, ring-fencing due diligence, balance sheet management projects and large-scale remediation projects.
1. To be a lead member of the team delivering technology-led transactions and services for the firm's bank clients.
2. To apply practical and technical knowledge of the banking sector to the creation, development and delivery of technology-led services for bank clients.
3. To support bids, scoping, setup and management of technology-led services for bank clients. It is our intention that the role will expand to include the development and support of technology-led services to clients in the FS Sector more generally.
4. To support the development of client relationships to generate new business in the technology-led services area.
This is an exciting new role which offers the successful candidate the opportunity to develop new skills in a cutting edge area of legal services. Since becoming a partner, Lucy has succeeded in generating a significant amount of business and fee income from technology-led services to our bank clients (billings in the 2016/2017 financial year were approximately £2,500,000). This has led to the requirement for a senior lawyer to help win and run these transactions.
Innovation is at the heart of Pinsent Masons' strategy and the Banking team has invested significantly in the development of technology-led services for clients. These services use a range of technology tools to improve the delivery of services by lawyers. A core team of Banking lawyers work closely with the central technology team to create, develop and deploy these solutions for clients. We are now looking to add a senior team member to further develop and roll out these solutions.
To help build our technology-led business by:
· applying practical and technical legal knowledge of the banking sector to create, develop and implement technology-led solutions for bank clients.
· identifying new opportunities for technology solutions and evaluating opportunities with the central technology team and, where relevant, with client relationship teams and sector teams.
· participating in pitches, bids and presentations on technology-led services, for the Banking & Restructuring team and the wider FS Sector.
To help win and deliver the technology-led instructions by:
· bidding for, pricing and scoping technology-led solutions, with appropriate partner and BD support, for our bank clients (expanding to other clients in the FS Sector).
· liaising with central technology team throughout transactions.
· understanding client requirements throughout transactions, from scoping to reporting.
To work along-side Lucy Shurwood to expand the clients to which we offer technology-led services by:
· supporting the development of client relationships relating to technology-led services. This will involve supporting client relationship teams and sector teams as well as direct interaction with existing clients.
· developing resources and materials to support the growth of technology-led services for bank clients, including working with the BD team.
This role will require frequenttravel to London (if based outside the London office) and Glasgow.
· Previous experience working as a banking and finance lawyer with experience of transactional lending work (and, ideally, some experience of derivatives, payment products, bank accounts, and other products and services that banks offer their corporate customers). The person needs to have had client facing experience at all levels within the client.
· Strong working knowledge of at least one of the key bank relationships; including an extensive knowledge of their structures, key contacts and strategic objectives.
· Strong technical and analytical skills.
· Ability to creatively apply legal and technical knowledge to new solutions and opportunities.
· No previous legal technology experience is required and full training on technology tools will be given. An interest in legal technology and/or computer science would be an advantage.
· Strong communication and influencing skills dealing with all levels within the client, firm and the markets. Pitching and presenting will be an essential component of the role.
· Excellent project management and prioritisation skills to ensure delivery of client transactions.
· Strong drafting and oral presentation skills to clearly communicate to all stakeholders.
· Flexibility of approach.
· Creativity – this role involves developing new solutions for the delivery of legal services.
· Ability to manage client transactions alongside product development work.
· Team-orientated and able to work in a mixed lawyer/technology team.
· Robust, persuasive and a strong influencer.
· A decision maker who is prepared to take tough decisions, as well as be accountable for team mistakes whilst proactively seeks and delivers corrective solutions.
Pinsent Masons is an international law firm with a long-standing reputation for delivering high-quality legal advice rooted in its deep understanding of the sectors and geographies in which its clients operate. With over 1,500 lawyers operating from 23 locations throughout the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa and the Middle East, Pinsent Masons is well-placed to advise on complex multi-jurisdictional matters across a full range of legal disciplines.
In recent years it has achieved more tier 1 rankings in The Legal 500 UK guide than any other firm, and is recognised among the most innovative law firms in Europe by the Financial Times. The firm has significant international credentials in the global energy, infrastructure, real estate, financial services and advanced manufacturing and technology sectors. Services provided across these sectors include corporate and M&A, commercial, competition, litigation and arbitration, banking, restructuring, insurance, regulatory, construction, projects, pensions, property, planning and environmental, procurement, outsourcing, employment, share plans, technology and tax advice.
Pinsent Masons stands out in particular for its innovative approach to service delivery. For example, the firm operates a hub of freelance lawyers, called Vario, and has also developed Cerico, a cloud-based regulatory compliance solution. It has developed long-term service agreements, often referred to as ‘sole adviser’ relationships, with a number of blue-chip organisations. Pinsent Masons has also recently acquired a global Diversity and Inclusion consultancy, Brook Graham which further enhances the firm's innovative and market leading offering.
For more details, please contact our in house Senior Recruitment Advisor Tia Jawed who can discuss the role and requirements.