Specific responsibilities include but are not restricted to:
• Interest and appetite for contentious construction work. Will be expected to read around the subject so able to hold sensible and meaningful conversations with construction and engineering clients and contacts.
• Need to be well versed in adjudication procedure and keep up to date with relevant case law or adjudication. Ability to draft "pleadings" in adjudications and conduct adjudications.
• Be prepared to run High Court cases in technically complex matters.
• Handle a varied workload in accordance with client protocols. Act as a point of contact for clients and experts, demonstrating a level of knowledge and skill commensurate with experience.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
• Support marketing and business development activity within the team eg attending marketing events and client training.
• Build an awareness of the Firm's other services. Build effective internal and external networks.
• Maintain an awareness of the firm's strategies and plans.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society CPD requirements.
• Handle confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
• Qualified solicitor with 5+ years PQE (or equivalent) in construction litigation and/or construction insurance.
• Excellent relationship and client handling skills. Able to deal confidently and professionally with clients on day to day issues. Able to demonstrate a reasonable level of self-sufficiency, combined with an awareness of the boundaries of own competence/authority.
• Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to share knowledge with and support other members of the team.
The Professional & Commercial Risks - Construction team deals with these principal types of work:-
1. Direct Contentious Construction Work
The Group acts for Employers, Insurers, Main Contractors and Sub-Contractors in contentious matters relating to time and money. These matters are invariably resolved by way of mediation, adjudication or High Court proceedings. We tend to conduct mediations and adjudications without the assistance of Counsel. High Court proceedings involve the use of barristers with construction expertise. In all cases there is heavy reliance on expert evidence both in the areas of quantum and delay. Occasionally there will be a call for experts in technical issues.
3. Construction Insurance
The team has been acting in several insurance-backed pieces of construction litigation. This involves coverage, monitoring and litigating matters principally for design and build contractor insureds.
4. General Construction Advice
The Group with the assistance of the transactional team does provide advice to clients regarding contract procurement and the drafting of bespoke contracts and subcontracts. We also advise on EU procurement issues.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.