3 months ago
(Monday - Friday; 9.30am - 5.30pm)
Departmental Secretarial Manager
Farrer & Co is an independent law firm, with a rich history. A centuries-long tradition of advising private families, individuals and charitable institutions is today complemented by our work with Businesses, Financial Services, Individuals, Families and Family Offices (IFFO), Education and Not For Profit organisations.
We look to be the market leader in our chosen areas of expertise, advising clients on the contentious and non-contentious legal, business and personal issues they face.
Our reputation and success is based on the goodwill of numerous close client relationships. We are trusted advisers, acting in our clients' long-term interests and paying careful attention to quality and personal service.
Our clients tell us they value us for our integrity, good judgement and professional excellence, as well as our broad perspective, practical solutions and value for money. They describe us as 'a likeable bunch' t
Our dispute resolution team handles a full range of litigation matters, from contract claims to large scale, complex multi-jurisdictional disputes and judicial review. We regularly appear in the High Court and the Court of Protection as well as courts in the Channel Islands and overseas. We also have significant experience of alternative dispute resolution and, in particular, arbitration and mediation. We act for a broad array of clients including individuals, businesses ranging from small family businesses to significant corporates, banks, trustees and trust companies as well as schools, higher education institutions and not-for-profit organisations. Our experience across this range of sectors ensures that our litigators understand the impact which a dispute can have on both an individual and at an organisational level. Each dispute requires a tailored solution, and we are committed to working quickly with you to identify and understand the issues you are facing in order to achieve the best possible result.
We are looking for an extremely organised and proactive secretary to provide a high level of professional support to their allocated Fee Earners as well as other members of the Department. The candidate will be experienced in their specialist area but will be expected to be flexible to cover the broader remit of the Department. They will be highly motivated, display outstanding attention to detail and have the ability to multitask with ease. It is essential that they are a strong team player with a positive, up-beat approach.
* Effective and proactive diary management, and awareness of Fee Earners' workloads to plan ahead, with minimal supervision
* Processes relevant applications, forms or searches, with minimal supervision
* Has a good knowledge of all systems/processes used within the Department
Client Relationship and Business Development
* Provides excellent service to clients, both internal and external, in a timely and professional manner, presenting a positive image of the Firm at all times
* Acts as a first point of contact for Fee Earners
* Provides assistance in the delivery of marketing communications, and records all business development meetings in InterAction
* Recognises, respects and honours client confidentiality at all times
* Creates typed work of a high quality, formatting in accordance with house style, at high speed, with accuracy and following internal guidelines
* Makes effective use of the Document Management System
* Creates new documents from the Firm’s templates, using contact data from InterAction where appropriate
* Proof-reads all documents for spelling, grammar and sense, querying wording where appropriate
* Maintains a high level of proficiency in core IT applications including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
* Adopts a pro-active approach and works with Fee Earners effectively, to maintain regular file management, to ensure all files are up to date, closed and archived, as appropriate
* Keeps accurate records of all files sent to off-site storage via Records
Financial Risk Management
* Prepares bills, as required by Fee Earners
* Prepares AML documentation and obtains relevant documentation from clients in a timely manner, as required by Fee Earners
* Carries out conflict searches and correctly identifies the work type
* Has excellent timekeeping and prioritises work effectively
* Is flexible, reliable, co-operative and has a professional approach to work
* Works as a positive, friendly and helpful team player
* Communicates in a positive and constructive manner
* Interacts in good faith and demonstrates effective listening
Education and Qualifications
* Qualified to GCSE standard, grade C (or equivalent) at Mathematics and English essential
* Previous secretarial experience in a law firm essential
* The hours of work for this opportunity are 9:30am to 5:30pm but it is essential to be committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond the normal office hours when necessary and in response to client demand.