6 months ago
(Monday - Friday; 9.30am - 5.30pm)
Departmental Secretarial Manager
Farrer & Co is an independent law firm, with a rich history. A centuries-long tradition of advising private families, individuals and charitable institutions is today complemented by our work with Businesses, Financial Services, Individuals, Families and Family Offices (IFFO), Education and Not For Profit organisations.
We look to be the market leader in our chosen areas of expertise, advising clients on the contentious and non-contentious legal, business and personal issues they face.
Our reputation and success is based on the goodwill of numerous close client relationships. We are trusted advisers, acting in our clients' long-term interests and paying careful attention to quality and personal service.
Our clients tell us they value us for our integrity, good judgement and professional excellence, as well as our broad perspective, practical solutions and value for money. They describe us as 'a likeable bunch' t
We advise on all aspects of family law and are market leaders, as is reflected by our legal directory rankings, industry awards and strong track record. Our clients benefit from advice that is based on years of experience, in-depth understanding, up to the minute knowledge and discretion. The consequences of the breakdown of a relationship are often highly emotive and require a special set of skills, both professional and personal. Our specialist group features some of the best legal talent in the country and advises wealthy individuals on the financial aspects of relationship breakdown (which can involve complicated tax and trusts issues) and complex children cases, including international relocation.
We are looking for an extremely organised and proactive secretary to provide a high level of professional support to their allocated Fee Earners as well as other members of the Department. The candidate will be experienced in their specialist area but will be expected to be flexible to cover the broader remit of the Department. They will be highly motivated, display outstanding attention to detail and have the ability to multitask with ease. It is essential that they are a strong team player with a positive, up-beat approach.
* Effective and proactive diary management, and awareness of Fee Earners' workloads to plan ahead, with minimal supervision
* Processes relevant applications, forms or searches, with minimal supervision
* Has a good knowledge of all systems/processes used within the Department
Client Relationship and Business Development
* Provides excellent service to clients, both internal and external, in a timely and professional manner, presenting a positive image of the Firm at all times
* Acts as a first point of contact for Fee Earners
* Provides assistance in the delivery of marketing communications, and records all business development meetings in InterAction
* Recognises, respects and honours client confidentiality at all times
* Creates typed work of a high quality, formatting in accordance with house style, at high speed, with accuracy and following internal guidelines
* Makes effective use of the Document Management System
* Creates new documents from the Firm’s templates, using contact data from InterAction where appropriate
* Proof-reads all documents for spelling, grammar and sense, querying wording where appropriate
* Maintains a high level of proficiency in core IT applications including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
* Adopts a pro-active approach and works with Fee Earners effectively, to maintain regular file management, to ensure all files are up to date, closed and archived, as appropriate
* Keeps accurate records of all files sent to off-site storage via Records
Financial Risk Management
* Prepares bills, as required by Fee Earners
* Prepares AML documentation and obtains relevant documentation from clients in a timely manner, as required by Fee Earners
* Carries out conflict searches and correctly identifies the work type
* Has excellent timekeeping and prioritises work effectively
* Is flexible, reliable, co-operative and has a professional approach to work
* Works as a positive, friendly and helpful team player
* Communicates in a positive and constructive manner
* Interacts in good faith and demonstrates effective listening
Education and Qualifications
* Qualified to GCSE standard, grade C (or equivalent) at Mathematics and English essential
* Previous secretarial experience in a law firm essential
The hours of work for this opportunity are 9:30am to 5:30pm but it is essential to be committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond the normal office hours when necessary and in response to client demand