4 months ago
[Forward to a friend]
12 months - maternity cover
(Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm)
Departmental Secretarial Manager
Farrer & Co is an independent law firm, with a rich history. A centuries-long tradition of advising private families, individuals and charitable institutions is today complemented by our work with Businesses, Financial Services, Individuals, Families and Family Offices (IFFO), Education and Not For Profit organisations.
We look to be the market leader in our chosen areas of expertise, advising clients on the contentious and non-contentious legal, business and personal issues they face.
Our reputation and success is based on the goodwill of numerous close client relationships. We are trusted advisers, acting in our clients' long-term interests and paying careful attention to quality and personal service.
Our clients tell us they value us for our integrity, good judgement and professional excellence, as well as our broad perspective, practical solutions and value for money. They describe us as 'a likeable bunch'.
The Team provides clients with prompt, practical advice covering all the legal and business issues for the effective acquisition, disposal and ownership and management of residential properties and acts for lenders in connection with the financing (both on acquisition and refinancing) of such properties. The Team also acts on leasehold enfranchisement matters for both landlords and tenants.
We are looking for an extremely organised and proactive secretary to provide a high level of professional support to their allocated Fee Earners as well as other members of the Department. The candidate will be experienced in their specialist area but will be expected to be flexible to cover the broader remit of the department. They will be highly motivated, display outstanding attention to detail and have the ability to multitask with ease. It is essential that you are a strong team player with a positive, up-beat approach.
* Creates typed work of a high quality, formatting in accordance with house style, at high speed, with accuracy and following internal guidelines
* Makes effective use of the Document Management System
* Creates new documents from the Firm’s templates, using contact data from InterAction where appropriate
* Proof-reads all documents for spelling, grammar and sense, querying wording where appropriate
* Proactively uses initiative to compose and send on behalf of Fee Earners, correspondence requiring focused concentration and attention to detail
* Effective and proactive diary management, and awareness of Fee Earners workloads to plan ahead, with minimal supervision
* Processes relevant applications, forms or searches, with minimum supervision
* Has an excellent knowledge of all systems/processes used within the Department
* Is professional and maintains effective communications with clients and Fee Earners
* Maintains up to date knowledge and understanding of Fee Earners' matters to enable a proactive support service
* Researches new clients/contacts and prepares bios before meetings, and conducts basic research (on-line or otherwise) for Fee Earners when required
* Arranges travel and any other activities on behalf of others, where appropriate
Client Relationship and Business Development
* Provides excellent service to clients, both internal and external, in a timely and professional manner, presenting a positive image of the Firm at all times
* Acts as a first point of contact for Fee Earners
* Provides assistance in the delivery of marketing communications, and records all business development meetings in InterAction, and setting up reminders where follow ups are needed with prospects on InterAction or other systems/logs as required
* Recognises, respects and honours client confidentiality at all times
* Organises business development meetings and events for Fee Earners, and assisting in the production of business development materials in liaison with Marketing
* Maintains a high level of proficiency in core IT applications including the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
* Makes suggestions for additional training, as required
* Adopts a pro-active approach and works with Fee Earners effectively, to maintain regular file management, ensuring all files are up to date, closed and archived, as appropriate
* Keeps accurate records of all files sent to off-site storage via Records
Financial Risk Management
* Basic preparation of bills (including bill narratives) with minimal supervision, as required by Fee Earners
* Prepares AML documentation and obtains relevant documentation from clients in a timely manner, as required by Fee Earners
* Carries out conflict searches and correctly identifies the work type
* Excellent knowledge and application of the Firm's procedures in billing, AML, Credit Control and debt management
* Liaising with credit control and alerting Fee Earners of unpaid bills
* Deals with time-recording matters as required by Fee Earners
Skills and Experience
* Qualified to GCSE standard, grade C (or equivalent) at Mathematics and English essential
* Previous secretarial experience in a law firm essential
* Excellent timekeeping and prioritises work effectively
* Flexible, reliable, co-operative and professional approach to work
* Works as a positive, friendly and helpful team player
* Communicates in a positive and constructive manner
* Interacts in good faith and demonstrates effective listening
* Uses initiative and takes a proactive approach to work by regularly seeking ways to improve secretarial support
* Positively supports and promotes change within the Department
* The hours of work for this opportunity are 9:30am to 5:30pm but it is essential to be committed, flexible and prepared to work beyond the normal office hours when necessary and in response to client demand.
< Back to available positions