9 months ago
Exciting opportunities exist for Patent Attorneys with CMS, a full service law firm, as a result of our merger with Olswang and Nabarro.
About the role
We are currently recruiting Trainee / Part Qualified Patent Attorneys to join our successful London based team. We are looking for individuals with an electronics, electrical engineering, physics or software qualification. Previous experience within one of these fields would be strongly preferred.
While training to qualify as a patent attorney you will assist in the drafting and filing of patent applications, patent prosecution at the EPO and UK-IPO, and EPO opposition and appeal work. Your work may also include involvement in freedom to operate opinions, IP due diligence and litigation.
According to Chambers & Partners UK (2017 edition, London) our team was ranked as Band 2 for Patent Attorneys.
Our IP group is already one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. We have qualified patent attorneys working alongside IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers.
This offering makes us unique in the market. We are the only full service law firm to combine patent attorneys with solicitors in this way.
* The ideal candidate will be part qualified and have passed the Queen Mary Certificate in IP Law or PEB Foundation Certificate exams.
* Excellent academic record – minimum 2.1 (or equivalent) ideally in electronics, electrical engineering, software or physics.
* The ideal candidate may have a further degree (i.e. PhD) and/or have worked in industry.
* Ideally a background in at least one of wireless telecommunications, software, signal processing and engineering, and experience of computer implementing inventions.
* Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic and interested in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution.
* Attention to detail and thoroughness is important as is a motivated and enthusiastic attitude.
* Flexible in attitude and approach to work. Able to demonstrate effective organisational and prioritisation skills. At times the successful candidate will be working to tight deadlines and under pressure and will be required to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
* Effective team player - able to collaborate effectively in an established, close-knit team. An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style. Able to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice.
* Willingness to assist across diverse technical and legal areas.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested please apply online or contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, for more information.