18 days ago
Role Profile Level 1
(Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm)
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved several top rankings in Chambers UK 2016, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our specialist Healthcare team covers all aspects of healthcare and related areas of law and practice, including child law, clinical negligence, clinical governance, consent to treatment, healthcare advisory and mental health. We provide a supportive, proactive service based on a deep understanding of NHS procedures and the social/political background of public healthcare. Our expert team includes doctors and nurses among other health professionals, all with specialist medical knowledge in key areas.
Main purpose of role
To provide assistance with litigated EL/PL cases (on behalf of NHS Resolution/NHS Trusts) handled by senior members of the team and/or manage a caseload of fast track litigated EL/PL cases, and undertake secondments at various NHS Trusts throughout the North West.
Main duties and responsibilities
* Manage a caseload of fast track litigated EL/PL cases
* Review case upon allocation and report to client/prepare strategy as appropriate and conduct the case thereafter to settlement/Trial/conclusion
* Deal with own telephone hearings
* Attend court/conferences with counsel
* Assist others with their cases (arranging conferences, instructing experts, requesting payments and liaising with the CRU)
* Undertake secondments as required at NHS Trusts throughout the North West
* Liaise with various parties such as claimants and their solicitors, colleagues, NHS Trusts and NHS Resolution
* Obtain documents and disclose to various parties
* Complete client MI procedures/databases
* Achieve set financial and chargeable hours targets
* Ensure relevant deadlines, quality measures and KIPS are adhered to
* Comply with relevant policies and procedures
* Work in accordance with Weightmans’ values
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role.
The person specification
* Knowledge of CPR procedure with proven technical ability (if the Paralegal has over 12 months Experience)
* Advocacy skills (if the Paralegal has over 12 months experience)
* Ability to work to strict deadlines and timescales
* Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
* Ability to commute to Trusts throughout the North West
* Excellent organisation skills
* Excellent time management skills
* Can-do attitude
* Excellent written/communication skills
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
< Back to available positions