4 months ago
General Counsel Team
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
Within Gowling WLG, the compliance and in-house legal services function is known as the General Counsel team. It is comprised of five sub-teams: Compliance, Professional Indemnity, Client and Matter Acceptance, Corporate Governance and Enterprise Risk Management.
We work in a business critical function which supports and assists the firm to ensure that it is compliant with relevant regulations and legislation, and seeks to monitor and minimise the risks from a financial and reputational point of view.
Main Purpose of the Job
To lead and manage a team of Conflicts and AML analysts, accountable for delivering all operational client and matter acceptance services across the full range of General Counsel operating activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
* Manage and monitor the day to day work flow of CAMAT against delivery of KPIs driving high performance and addressing under performance.
* Producing weekly and monthly management reports which interpret and analyse available data.
* Continually review and update processes to provide leading practice delivering first class internal client experience.
* Accountable for CAMAT relationship with key stakeholders, seeking client feedback to ensure the department continues to meet service needs and to develop and improve.
* Develop and maintain and adhere to service level agreements with internal client base.
* Lead on team motivation developing a positive, high performing and collaborative team.
* Act as a point of escalation working across the firm to resolve any operational CAMAT issues.
* Manage the addition of new services and jurisdictions to CAMAT catalogue.
* Responsible for ensuring teams deliver operational services in compliance with all legal requirements, regulatory requirements and policies.
* Assist in the annual budget process and monthly cost management reviews for the finance operations teams. Develop budgets for FTE and overhead costs based on project demand.
* Actively manage the talent and career paths of CAMAT, including conducting performance and development reviews.
* Planning of weekly rota (start times and lunch times) and monitoring of attendance/timekeeping/sickness levels ensuring full client service across all of Gowling WLG.
Key skills and experience
* Previous experience of managing and motivating a successful operational team in a fast-paced environment, ideally within a shared service operation or similar.
* Experience of managing and optimising process driven client service environments, including demonstrates enthusiasm for change, quick to identify and implement improvements.
* Able to prioritise workloads and delegate effectively, whilst giving constructive feedback and coaching to continually improve performance and instil a high performance culture.
* Works collaboratively with wider teams, and able to adapt communication style to a variety of stakeholder, from operational team members through to Board members.
* Demonstrate a natural aptitude for a client service approach.
* Able to demonstrate the Firm's values and act as a positive role model.
* Experience in operational processes, data management and analytics, MI production with excellent IT skills and a high focus on attention to detail.
* Detailed knowledge of continuous improvement techniques.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular communication and influencing skills.
* A good working knowledge of legal conflicts and know your client processes (preferred but not essential)
The role will require occasional travel to the firm's London office.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
< Back to available positions