6 months ago
Head of Business Solutions and Change
Business Information Systems
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
We're a collaborative and diverse IT department with a wide-ranging skillset, including project management, solution development, infrastructure, finance systems, client & user support services, procurement, information security and much much more!
Technology is forever evolving and supporting our firm in a variety of ways. In the team we are managing and supporting a number of projects that challenge and develop our skills and knowledge, so it’s an exciting part of the firm to work in.
You'll be joining a team with a combined experience of over 100 years, so you'll be able to learn from experienced practitioners. Keeping up-to-date on latest technology demands and an evolving firm, means no two days are the same. We always strive to improve, which in turn brings great development and training opportunities.
Main Purpose of the Job
To manage the technical delivery processes, projects and products and to support the drive for the technical development of the firm by:
* Managing and liaising with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Developers and Solution Architects (SAs)
* Taking responsibility for technical IT/Information Systems development and implementation – building, configuring and enhancing, plus supporting maintenance and eventually decommissioning
Main Duties and Responsibilities
To manage the technical delivery processes, projects and products by:
* Providing leadership, vision and direction to the technical organisation to ensure it will contribute to the company achieving its goals
* Developing productive relationships with business leaders across the organisation to influence how IT systems can enable new sources of value
* Defining and enhancing methodologies and practices for the technology life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement
* Ensuring that technology processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation
* Implementing and managing IT system life cycle management status reporting, metrics and benchmarks
* Overseeing the use of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Developers and Solutions Architects
* developing and leading a team of high calibre technical delivery resources capable of originating and supporting the firm’s technically based business initiatives and products
* allocating appropriate technical resources to projects and ensuring that both segregated and overlapping project team roles are identified and coordinated
* Ensuring a high-quality technical outcome for projects and products
* designing, testing and implementing technical solutions to agreed standards
* providing subject matter expertise
* Performing vendor/service provider relationship management to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the firm
* Conducting regular surveys of stakeholder satisfaction with IT systems, publish the results and, where necessary, implement action plans to improve satisfaction
* Working with the Portfolio Manager to facilitate the IT systems governance process to gain consensus on a prioritized set of measurable business outcomes that the technology must support, within the limitations of the technology budget
* Working with stakeholders to accomplish the IT systems work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the IT systems portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs
* Overseeing the successful technical delivery of business outcomes in partnership with BIS colleagues (e.g. Solution Delivery Managers) and the business
* Identifying opportunities and risks for the firm that could be solved by technology or where technology could play a part in the business deliverable
Key skills and experience
* Three or more years as a technical development manager who can demonstrate success in effectively and efficiently:
* managing a large, high-performance, cohesive team of technical development staff (subject matter experts, developers and solutions architects)
* driving multiple IT/Information Systems led product/application development projects in a demanding client led environment
* providing leadership expertise in building cross-organisational consensus with business/operations clients and/or technology providers
* liaising with middle and senior management
* managing IT contracts and service providers including the associated costs
* engaging with procurement and legal contract advisors for additional information
* working with IT technology, operations, service and support organisations
* using data processing, analysis and quality management tools
* developing and implementing processes and policies
* Knowledge of project and change management processes and methodologies (e.g. PMI, Prince2, Agile Development, Lean IT and DevOps)
* Demonstrable experience in at least some of the following areas:
* software design/development, mobile applications, application architecture, project management, software as a service (SaaS), software integration, automated software testing, data management/governance, business intelligence, information security, business process analysis
* Good understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business
* Ideally evidenced experience of managing staffing requirements and career paths including competencies and capabilities
* Demonstrated experience and ability in successfully utilizing "soft skills" or "people skills"
* Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with the ability to absorb new information quickly
* Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as with external vendors and service providers)
* Evidence demonstrating ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure including expertise in prioritising competing workloads for self and staff
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.