General Legal Advisor - Technical
LOCATION: LEONARD HOUSE
· The successful candidate will be responsible for a providing general legal advice on matters in areas of law including (but not exclusively):
Motoring offences/motor prosecution;
· Offering /providing general advice to legal expense insurers on matter relating to indemnity and liability ;
· Inputting claims enquiries and indemnity issues;
· The successful candidate may also handle a caseload of fastrack/portal RTA cases and in doing so will:
· Progress claims in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR, and SLAs in place.
· Dealing with queries on files which they may from time to time be asked to advice on, handle and/or progress.
· Prioritising urgent schedule entries and dealing with remainder of daily tasks on To Do list
· Instructing Counsel for advice and to attend conferences and hearings.
Client and Referrer Relationships
· Must act on, deal with and advise clients in a timely matter and strictly adhere to any SLAs set, ensuring clients (commercial and lay) are kept informed and up to date on a regular basis throughout the life of the claim.
· Assist with relationship building with commercial clients to enhance the reputation of the firm and the service it provides.
· Ensuring that any insurers and/or other funders are kept updated and fully informed as to the progress of any claims to reduce any potential cost liability.
· Maintaining pro- active communication with all clients to ensure all heads of claim are discussed with the client at the outset and throughout the claim.
· Utilising a clients preferred methods of communication to keep them advised of the progress of claims
· Actively and positively promote and represent Carpenters Solicitors throughout the firm, and to external bodies
Key Performance Indicators
The following KPIs will apply; this list is not exhaustive and may change as the business develops:
• Compliance with SLAs and audit requirements
• Client retention, and satisfaction
• Litigation and Settlement rates
• Average case turnaround times
Your performance will be reviewed on a regular basis through one-to-one meetings with the Team manager or Head of Department
· Paralegal, Member/Fellow of CILEx or experienced handler with at least 2 years’ experience in the law. Candidate must have general legal knowledge.
· Must have experience or knowledge of other areas of law (see above) and be able to provide general legal advice.
· Ability to assimilate information and deliver straight forward advice to clients. Must have good telephone manner.
· Commercially minded, and able to see opportunities to optimise commercial relationships and opportunities and also outcomes on cases, both for the client and the firm.
· Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues.
· Maintain a positive attitude, self-motivated and uses own initiative in problem solving.
· Resilient - able to deal with a fast paced changing environment whilst still achieving objectives and targets.
· Takes opportunities to develop and stretch themselves and their team, whilst seeking ways to add value to the firm.
To seek opportunities to develop your own experience, as well as attend any training provided by the firm. Members/Fellows of CILEx must ensure that they complete all relevant CPD requirements.
To keep updated in the developments within the civil litigation field, both in terms of the statutory rules, case law and current issues facing the industry.
There is the opportunity for high performing individuals to move into different role and/or departments across the business to expand their knowledge and experience, and develop a career with Carpenters.