8 months ago
Practice group/Global Operations team:
Type of Vacancy:
Full time/Part time:
Contract/Part time details:
About Eversheds Sutherland:
Eversheds Sutherland is not your average law firm and we're not looking for average people. We do things differently - in the way we treat our people and the service we provide. That's how we've become one of the largest law firms in the world and a great place to work and develop your career.
We have a vacancy for a full time Solution Architect (SA) in the IT Department which is mainly based in Birmingham. The role is predominately working to design Finance related solutions.
As a member of the Architecture and Design team, the SA will evolve and design innovative business and technical solutions to allow the firm to grow and operate efficiently, and so deliver a great service to its clients.
The SA will jointly lead on the design of comprehensive business and finance solutions across the business process, data, security, technology and organizational design areas, while complying with international IT and Finance policies and requirements. This position will work closely with the IT Portfolio Leads, Application Architects, Enterprise Architecture and other key business stakeholders to determine requirements for solution planning and development. This position will develop solution architecture at a Corporate and project level in collaboration with global and regional business / finance teams.
The SA will understand both technical and functional design, bringing in perspective from the process and organizational areas and expertise from the data, security and technology areas. The SA will also build a strong partnership with the business and specifically hold expertise in Business / Finance applications that support these processes, and therefore ensure solutions developed are aligned to enterprise architecture standards and principles, leverage common solutions and services where appropriate, and meet financial targets i.e. cost and benefits. This position is also accountable for solution evaluation and early-phase project estimates which will contribute to the business case.
The SA position is required to stay current with emerging business and technology trends, and drive innovative investments throughout the IT portfolio. This role will facilitate the sometimes difficult conversations involving balancing corporate strategies and local business requirements and therefore will require an ability to see multiple perspectives, steer discussions towards fact-based comparisons, and so drive significant net value for the business.
The SA, as a team, own the integration, maintenance and integrity of the portfolio architecture for all solutions, encompassing business capabilities which is enabled by the enterprise application landscape.
• The SA will work across various business and technology areas of the firm and be responsible for understanding the strategy across the business process areas and enterprise on the capabilities provided and translate these into an architecture plan.
• The SA will develop and maintain strategic visions (3 to 5 years) and roadmaps (1 to 3 years) for agreed areas and/or segments of the firm.
• Working with Business Analysts (BA’s), the SA will add business or risk driven ideas to the IT Project pipeline list (1 to 18 months) and create Vision summaries for these.
• Once approved Visions have been initiated into projects, the SA will work with the BA’s and others to create ‘High Level Solution Designs’ (HLSD’s). It is important to note that these are not just a technical design, they also include Business and Service elements and the key project activities to achieve these.
• The SA will guide projects through delivery, but won't generally “tech lead” or "hands on" deliver the solutions as this is not an IT Developer role.
• The SA will regularly work with many people, including BAs, Business Relationship Managers, Business users (across Practice Groups and International Operations, UK and globally), IT department members (technical and service), suppliers and cloud vendors and provide support, consultation and recommendations for business capabilities, business process design, software development/design/architecture
• There will be occasional travel in the UK, some international travel is plausible.
Skills and experience:
• Great at ‘Design, documentation and presentation’ - The SA role is all about understanding the business objectives and setting out solution design to achieve them.
• Drawing architectural diagrams e.g. in Visio / PowerPoint
• Microsoft technologies and solutions (desktops and servers).
• Client facing / Remote working / Mobile / Cloud solutions.
• Working with professional services applications / workflow solutions. Knowledge of business process design and improvement in Finance Systems, ideally in professional service organisations (ideally law firms).
• Ideally a good knowledge of infrastructure and experience in developing integrated solutions involving process, data and technology.
• Ideally exposure to a variety of development methodologies.
• Analytical, ensuring a good understanding of the business problems and existing scenarios before proposing and then agreeing solutions
• Innovative, coming up with creative solutions and ensuring there is a good outcome for all parties
• Strategic while still delivering project objectives
• Tough - preserving the key deliverables
• Helpful - a pleasure to work with, works where necessary with the business and within IT - motivated, adaptable and willing to help out in other areas.
• A good listener and communicator, good at documentation and administration, a team player, proactive and self-motivated, make reasoned recommendations (rather than just listing options), deliver on time and care for the firm.
• Proactively keep up to date with external trends and solutions.
We're looking for an SA who will increase the value of the existing team, someone with knowledge / skills / approach that the existing team don't have.
We're a modern, progressive law firm. We think differently and we've built a culture where individual skills and personalities can shine through. At Eversheds Sutherland, we believe that innovation comes from a culture of genuine equality and diversity and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, or once in post.
In addition to the above, Eversheds Sutherland also require awareness of and full participation in the Firm’s commitment to equality and diversity, the environment and health and safety.
Email this vacancy to a friend