Defendant - Legal Adviser
LOCATION: LEONARD HOUSE
• Deal with all aspects of litigated and non – litigated Defence personal injury claims, including RTA claims, and pursuing Part 20 claims on behalf of clients when appropriate.
• Have a good working knowledge of the CPR and/or and other relevant case law and/or legislation and progressing defences in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR.
• Have a working knowledge and where appropriate advise on/progress claims involving technical arguments such as indemnity/RTA/Article 75 Insurer issues, resiling from admissions, and pursuing non-parties to litigation.
• Instruct Counsel, to attend conferences, hearings and CMC’s etc.
• Undertake telephone advocacy when appropriate e.g. allocation hearings and CMCs.
• Take a pragmatic commercial approach to settlements and advising clients as to litigation/cost risks.
• Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant insurance clients.
• Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant lay clients.
• Prioritise urgent schedule entries and dealing with remainder of daily tasks on To Do list.
• Achieve and exceed various targets set in relation to fee income, closures and issuing etc.
Ensure clients (lay and insurance) are kept informed and up to date on a regular basis throughout the life of the claim.
Build a rapport by speaking/meeting with clients when possible to ensure a consistency of service and to ensure insurers loyalty to the Firm.
Check the authenticity and validity of claims by speaking with clients regularly on potentially difficult file .
Build a relationship with clients to minimise the possibility of complaints and to enhance the reputation of the Firm and the service it provides.
Ensure that any relevant insurer is kept updated and fully informed as to the progress of any claims to reduce any potential exposure/liability and to increase saving.
Maintain pro- active communication with clients (lay and insurance) to ensure all heads of claim are discussed with the client at the outset and throughout the claim.
Obtain all relevant documentation from clients at the outset.
Discuss liability and/or quantum offers with the relevant parties, making use of the telephone rather than letter whenever possible.
Consider, and advise clients on, issues of contributory negligence as and when they may arise.
Prioritise incoming daily post/emails and dealing with anything needing urgent attention while the remainder of the post is dealt with expeditiously and in order of importance and productivity.
Assist new or less experienced members of the team with any issues in terms of clients, referrers, external agencies and procedure etc.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills Required:
A Solicitor, ILEX qualified or file handler of at least 2 years’ experience in the personal injury field.
A proven track record of running a successful fast and/or multi track caseload within a personal injury environment.
Excellent client care and analytical skills, to include providing written and oral advice in a clear concise manner.
The ability to liaise and build up a rapport by using effective communication with all external agencies during the life of a claim including medical agencies, investigators, barristers etc.
The ability to create and foster a “can do” culture to raise efficiency and productivity.
Good IT skills with a sound working knowledge of Solcase or a similar case management system and essential MS Office knowledge.
Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues.