17 days ago
The team has a national presence through the Birmingham, London and Leeds offices. The work we carry out comprises of three key elements; Acquisition work, Plot Support work and Plot Sales.
We don’t operate a sub-team culture and all solicitors have the opportunity to work with all of the Partners in the team and undertake a wide variety of work for national house builders and developers, both in the private housing sector and city regeneration sectors. The Partners encourage a supportive team environment where supervision is always available and members can seek advice and further their knowledge from others. We also work closely with the Planning, Construction and Tax teams.
We act for all top ten house builders and seventeen of the top twenty house builders, our whole team are incredibly specialist and has an enviable national reputation.
The team undertakes all types of property transactions including but not limited to;
* conditional contracts,
* strategic options,
* promotion agreements,
* partnering agreements with local authorities and HCA,
* consortium agreements and sale contracts,
* complex regeneration partnering agreements,
* we are also currently working on large sustainable urban extensions for land owners and house builder consortia throughout the country.
We also support and encourage the continual development of our team through regular development based seminars given by external providers as well as monthly meetings at which the team discusses technical topics and undertake precedent drafting sessions as a team. We also offer firmwide modular training sessions to all fee earners across the business to assist in their learning and development.
We are looking for an acquisition solicitor to work alongside other specialist solicitors and work primarily for a client base of household name house builders, Plc builders, developers and promoters.
This role will be reporting in to the Unit Head and all Partners in the team, as well as any of the Senior Associates in the team with overall responsibility for the relevant client but an appropriately experienced solicitor would be expected to run with their own files with the knowledge that peer review is always available from senior colleagues when needed.
We encourage our solicitors to interact with our clients socially and there are numerous opportunities to attend these events.
Duties & Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of this role will include:
* daily contact with clients,
* preparation of contracts documents,
* title examination; and
* the usual due diligence involved in buying a development site including carrying out site visits,
* there will also be the opportunity to attend or lead contract meetings with clients to negotiate contract documents, depending on experience,
* attending business development and networking opportunities.
For an appropriately experienced solicitor there will be a supervisory role for junior fee earners within the team.
Key Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
* strong technical ability with the proven ability to apply that technical knowledge commercially,
* the ability to negotiate contract documents with anything between moderate to little supervision,
* the ability to examine a title and undertake a full due diligence on a site acquisition from the point of view of a property developer,
* good organisational skills and a strong communicator who can relay what needs to be said with brevity and as little legalese as possible,
* be responsive to client and colleague needs.
Sector experience is not necessarily required but would be desirable, but appropriate development experience would be required.
Gateley Plc is a leading national, commercial law firm. Operating in 7 UK cities and with an office in Dubai, the firm helps clients meet their commercial goals through the delivery of clear and pragmatic legal advice and solutions.
In 2015 Gateley made legal history by becoming the first UK law firm to list on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. As a plc, Gateley is able to fulfil its growth strategy: differentiate; incentivise and diversify.
Differentiate: by listing, Gateley demonstrated its progressive and entrepreneurial mind-set – a distinctive approach, which appeals to clients.
Incentivise: Gateley has a unique offer to its staff – equity in the business. An employee share scheme enables everyone working at Gateley Plc to have a stake in its continued growth and success.
Diversify: the Gateley Group provides clients with more than legal advice thanks to the acquisition of tax incentives advisory business Gateley Capitus. Other acquisitions will add complementary services.
Gateley is a full-service legal business which is home to market-leading real estate, corporate, banking & finance and corporate recovery practices.
Gateley is committed to the regional communities in which it is based, and actively supports a number of causes both nationally and regionally. The firm has a reputation as a friendly and sociable place to work and is committed to equality and diversity throughout its offices.