17 days ago
Housing, Development & Regeneration
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
Housing Development and Regeneration team, one of the top teams in the country, sits within the Real Estate Group, the third largest Real Estate practice in the UK.
The team comprises 7 partners and 34 lawyers, supported by a team of paralegals, advising on all aspects of residential development and housing led regeneration. We act for house builders, mixed use developers, affordable housing providers, landowners (public and private) and investors in the residential sector. The housing sector continues to be a key area of investment for the government, supported by opposition parties, and demographic demand requires a continuing increase in supply. Our large, experienced team and excellent client base has a proven track record of resilience in the downturn and has enabled us to capitalise on housing sector growth.
We have a separate team of paralegals dealing with plot sales and part exchange transactions. However, this role does not include any element of domestic conveyancing,
Clients include: Taylor Wimpey, Persimmon, Bloor, Miller, Crest Nicholson, Bellway, Keepmoat, Bovis and Avant.
The team’s areas of residential development expertise includes:
* acquisitions, disposals and exchanges of land and property, including serviced parcels;
* overage arrangements, and security;
* strategic work – option agreements, promotion agreements and hybrids;
* collaboration, consortium and joint venture arrangements, with related site assembly;
* planning and infrastructure agreements;
* building licences and development agreements;
* development management agreements;
* mixed use schemes, with related structuring advice;
* private rented sector;
* institutional investment in the residential sector;
* investor acquisitions and disposals of residential portfolios;
* funding agreements
Main Purpose of the Job
The purpose of the role is to provide cutting edge specialist advice on all aspects of housebuilder work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Predominantly the role will be involve advising sophisticated clients on:
* Site acquisition and disposal, mainly by way of conditional contracts, including overage
* Strategic land acquisition– option, promotion and hybrid agreements
* Collaborations/joint ventures
* Planning and infrastructure agreements
The candidate will also have the opportunity to experience all of the other areas of expertise within the team (referred to above) in order to provide a well-rounded and balanced training. The work is some of the most technically challenging and rewarding development work in the real estate sector. The exposure to complexity will vary depending on the candidate's current experience and aptitude.
The role will also include any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager of the firm or Practice Operations Manager.
Key skills and experience
* The team prides itself on clear and practical advice with sound commercial judgment and swift and accurate implementation of instructions.
* Development experience is essential, but not necessarily residential development.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
< Back to available positions
22 days ago
only 6 days until close
16 days ago
only 12 days until close