18 days ago
Practice group/Global Operations team:
Litigation & Dispute Mgmt
Type of Vacancy:
Full time/Part time:
Contract/Part time details:
About Eversheds Sutherland:
The Manchester Commercial Dispute Resolution team is well motivated, busy and highly effective. We are consistently recognised in Chambers and the Legal 500 as being a tier 1 team for litigation work. We routinely advise major companies (local, national and international) on business critical matters and all of our lawyers enjoy a varied, challenging and interesting caseload.
The Manchester Commercial Dispute Resolution team sits within an international litigation practice which has over 70 partners in the UK and over 60 partners in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Africa. The recent combination with the United States creates significant new business opportunities to secure top quality contentious work for international clients.
With 650 lawyers around the globe we mobilise cross-office teams on a regular basis and have an international team of dynamic and forward-thinking lawyers who are focussed on combining legal expertise and commercial problem solving to provide our clients with the guidance they need. We therefore provide opportunities for people to grow their own careers not just locally, but across the globe and across a wide range of sectors and work types.
We are passionate about helping our clients secure the best outcome in their business dealings, securing compensation for breaches of contractual or tortious duties or defending commercial claims. We work alongside our clients through the toughest of times, protecting their interests at every stage of a dispute. Eversheds Sutherland’s Litigation and Dispute Management team is called in to handle threats and disputes of the highest strategic importance.
Recognised by The Lawyer magazine as part of the “Litigation Elite", our lawyers regularly provide input into a wide range of large-scale matters involving multiple jurisdictions for multi-nationals, complex litigation cases involving technical stretch as well as general commercial disputes which can be managed on a day to day basis by junior members of the team.
If you would like to be part of a truly international, results oriented practice - working on some of the most prominent examples of Court proceedings, strategic advice, crisis management, or public and private investigations – then the Commercial Dispute Resolution team at Eversheds Sutherland is the team for you.
We are now looking to add an experienced lawyer to our Commercial Dispute Resolution team in Manchester. This team currently comprises high calibre lawyers who specialise in commercial fraud, defamation and professional negligence, as well as undertaking a broad range of more general dispute work (warranty and misrepresentation claims, supply chain, shareholder and partnership disputes) for major corporates – both locally and globally.
The successful candidate would join a dynamic, growing team of ambitious lawyers operating in a professional, collegiate environment. They would have immediate exposure to challenging, high quality work and the opportunity to develop their skills further, learning from direct experience but supported by partners and senior lawyers. The success of the team creates real opportunities for merit-based promotion.
• Provide strategic, transactional and commercial legal advice on litigation cases, supporting the Partners and wider Commercial Dispute Resolution team.
• Support and offer guidance to junior lawyers in the team.
• As an integral part of the team, you will handle a number of your own matters under supervision.
• Be pro-active and willing to get involved in business development and contribute to the strategic direction of the team.
• This varied role offers a wide range of high quality commercial dispute resolution work, including exposure to clients in diverse sectors.
• You will have access to sector specialists and be expected to work with these contacts across the firm to help develop growth areas for the team.
• You will work on high profile, high value and complex litigation.
Skills and experience:
• We are looking for a lawyer of 3-4 years’ PQE working within a high performing dispute resolution team on complex issues. A band of PQE as advertised on a role does not preclude applications from those candidates that may have more or less PQE. Our intention is only to indicate a guideline as to how long we would expect a qualified lawyer to have practised so as to have gained the necessary skills for the role as described.
• Strong technical skills and excellent academic qualifications, with a degree classification of 2:1 or higher, are an absolute pre-requisite. In addition, we expect commercial understanding so as to provide the best practical advice to our clients.
• Ability to analyse complex factual situations and distil the key issues clearly and concisely and persuade others through logical reasoning. You will provide a first rate client service both internally and externally.
• Evidence of exposure to clients/counsel/experts is desirable.
• Exposure to business development activities and a good understanding of how to win work would be desirable.
• To be successful, you must be able to operate at a fast pace in a vibrant office environment. You will use your strong communication skills to build effective relationships with existing and new clients, introducing clients to other teams or practice groups.
We are looking for someone with a ‘can do’ approach who is prepared to go the extra mile and who strives to understand their clients’ needs and brings commercial awareness to the table.
Strong technical skills are taken as a given. In addition, you should be a team player, client focused and a good communicator with a strong practical approach to your work. A commitment to deliver quality service is essential, as is the ability to juggle the demands of a heavy workload and prioritise effectively. You should be able to support and coach junior colleagues and act as the primary day-to-day supervisor on appropriate client matters.
We are a modern, progressive law firm. We are driven by new ideas; we are excited by new approaches; and we are also refreshingly down-to-earth. We think differently and we have built a culture where individual skills and personalities can shine through.
At Eversheds Sutherland, we believe that innovation comes from a culture of genuine equality and diversity and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, or once in post.
We are committed to be an LGBT inclusive employer and Stonewall Corporate Champions.
We are committed to ensuring that you have the chance to maximise your potential. We offer a comprehensive programme of specialised technical training, skills-based modules, management development programmes, courses and conferences.
Eversheds Sutherland endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Eversheds Sutherland operates within a preferred supplier list.
As an inclusive employer we want to see every candidate performing at their best so we use ClearTalents™ to discover how we might improve your application experience.
Email this vacancy to a friend