18 days ago
Specialist Real Estate Services (SRES)
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
Gowling WLG is home to one of the UK's largest real estate practices with a team of more than 275 commercially-minded, innovative and pragmatic lawyers.
As a firm we're externally recognised by legal directories (Legal 500 and Chambers) and have won many legal sector awards, most recently Real Estate Team of the Year (British Legal Awards 2017) and Infrastructure Team of the Year (Lawyer Awards 2017) for our innovative work on high-profile property projects.
Building strong and successful partnerships with our clients is at the heart of what we do. We aim to meet and exceed expectations for service levels and reporting. As a team we focus on getting to know our clients businesses so we can deliver the best advice.
We are used to dealing with fast-paced acquisition and disposal programmes for retailers, leisure operators and energy developers and investors.
We have one of the UK’s largest retail sector teams advising all types of retailer whether a pop-up, bricks and mortar, online or omni-channel. Our energy practice is the leading solar practice in the UK.
Retail & Leisure
* Midcounties Co-operative on its portfolio management. This includes freehold disposals and leasehold acquisitions, disposals and renewals.
* Morrisons on its convenience store lease acquisition programme and ongoing management on the roll out of its convenience store concept.
* Metro Bank on its leasehold acquisitions in the UK retail banking market.
* Nike on the acquisition of flagship retail premises.
* Domino's Pizza major franchisee on acquisitions and granting of leases and underleases.
* Premier Foods Limited in connection with lease negotiation and asset management.
* Marston’s PLC - Property and due diligence aspects of its securitisations (with a combined value in excess of £1 billion) involving over 2,500 properties
* Young & Co's Brewery PLC - Advising on the property aspects of the £60 million acquisition of Geronimo Inns (a share acquisition of a food-led pub business).
* Pret a Manger: Advising on its acquisition programme.
* Starbucks : Advising on acquisitions, disposals and estate management.
* Whitbread: Advising on freehold and leasehold acquisitions and site extensions for Premier Inn Hotels.
* UK Power Networks on the leasing and transfer of large volumes of substation sites and easements, within a regulated environment.
* Primrose Solar in relation to the acquisition of all necessary property rights required for its 200MW portfolio of PV sites and in particular the associated grid connection arrangements.
* Lightsource Renewable Energy, the UK's largest solar operator, in relation to the development and connection of new sites, together with related financing, refinancing and disposal of the same.
* E.ON on the property aspects of the property arrangements for its proposed Isle of Grain development of a 1200MW power station, together with the related gas and heat pipe easements and leases.
* • Infinis Energy in relation to its landfill gas portfolio and battery storage development and the associated rights and management issues, together with grid connection arrangements.
* • A major Energy-from-Waste developer on the negotiation of documentation to secure land rights to permit the development of a commercial waste to energy project, including a heat supply network
* • The Energy Systems Catapult, in relation to its "whole system" review of the UK's energy system and its associated strategic analysis.
Main Purpose of the Job
Primarily providing advice on commercial property issues relating to freehold acquisitions and disposals, landlord and tenant negotiations and the full range of property due diligence and title investigations.
In addition, large property investment transactions and general commercial property transactions.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in a dedicated team comprising one partner and 9 other fee earners advising clients such as Metro Bank, Specsavers, Starbucks, Midcounties Co-Operative and Infinis Energy
The role will involve the property elements of:
* Acquisitions, disposals and mergers (freehold and leasehold)
* Reports on title
* Certificates on title
* Due diligence on multi property transactions
* Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager or Group Support Manager of the firm.
Key skills and experience
The ideal candidate will have:
* A desire to advise on a range of commercial property work, ideally with a focus on landlord and tenant transactions
* A strong academic background and training within a regarded commercial property department
* Experience of telephone liaison with clients and internal personnel of all levels
* Experience reviewing and, ideally, negotiating property transaction documentation
* Experience of working within a team on complex matters
* Extensive experience of running a caseload under partner supervision
* Excellent time management and organisation skills
* Team player who is willing to get involved in new areas of work
* Comfortable dealing with clients, under appropriate levels of supervision
* Sound drafting, negotiation and problem solving skills
* Calm under pressure
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
< Back to available positions
23 days ago
only 5 days until close
3 days ago
only 10 days until close