18 days ago
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide employment law advice as appropriate at a junior level, working with the support of the rest of the team across London and Birmingham.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
* To take responsibility as MFE for matters where day to day running by a junior lawyer is appropriate – e.g. straightforward tribunal claims; review of handbook/contract/policy; written and telephone advice on straightforward operational ER queries;
* To work with the employment partners, director and associates on contentious and non-contentious matters where they are MFE but there are tasks which are appropriate to delegate to a junior lawyer, e.g. producing first draft risk assessments; first draft TUPE warranties; research; and draft advice.
* To participate in and contribute to all training run by the team internally within the firm;
* To deliver training to clients and targets externally as part of a wider team;
* To participate in pitching for work as part of formal pitch processes, e.g. by contributing to the pitch documentation or being part of the team presenting at the pitch;
* To participate and contribute to the team’s BD activity as appropriate for a junior lawyer;
* To support the team’s Excellence activities by sharing knowhow and learning;
* To ensure all matters for which he/she is MFE are SRA compliant.
* Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager or Group Support Manager of the firm.
Key skills and experience
* A thorough technical grounding in a good range of employment law issues (albeit we wouldn’t expect the person to have come across everything, given the level of experience we are looking at) e.g. drafting and negotiating compromise agreements; handling straightforward tribunal claims and supporting on more complex ones; advising on ER issues; transactional support – due diligence, drafting and negotiating warranties and indemnities;
* Excellent analytical skills and an ability to focus on the key issues;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, including listening;
* Proven relationship building skills;
* A demonstrable ability to see things from a number of perspectives, including primarily the client’s commercial perspective;
* A willingness to learn and take responsibility for their own development and to support others to do the same; and
* Flexibility in approach.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
< Back to available positions
23 days ago
only 5 days until close
3 days ago
only 10 days until close