6 months ago
Role Profile Level 1A
(Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
Litigation, Transaction and Advisory
Real Estate Midlands and South
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved several top rankings in Chambers UK 2016, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
Our national Real Estate team provides a complete range of legal and advisory services on all aspects of commercial property for both the public and private sector. We advise on and draft heads of terms, development agreements and associated construction, planning and site disposal matters, funding arrangements, freehold transfer and associated due diligence procedures, grant assignment and lease renewals. Our clients range from major retailers, leisure operators, regional developers, local authorities, universities and healthcare providers. We have been involved in a range of projects from £100 million city centre regeneration schemes to smaller bespoke ventures. Our service includes the management of large property portfolios for occupiers and investors, advising on LTA 1954 renewals, easements, covenants, service charges and land registration.
The role will involve assisting with all aspects of administration as per instructions from the Team Managers and other members of the teams in accordance with deadlines set.
Main duties and responsibilities:
* Filing, and ensuring filing is kept up to date, and that files are indexed correctly and, where appropriate, documents are scanned on to the Case Manager System.
* Ensuring key dates have been placed in the Case Manager system, such as: Acknowledgement of Service, Defence, Court Hearing dates and Court directions.
* Physically and electronically opening new matter files, ensuring all of the relevant procedures are followed and letters confirming receipt of instructions have been sent.
* Physically and electronically closing matter files, ensuring all of the relevant procedures are followed, there are nil balances and the files are correctly archived.
* Billing and accounts queries
* Arranging for files to be sent to off site storage and, when required, to retrieve files
* Organising the retrieval of closed files from archives, if required.
* Carrying out general file maintenance duties.
* Some, limited, hand delivery of documents such as to local chambers, Royal Courts of Justice.
* Carrying out general administrative tasks, such as but not limited to: photocopying, sending faxes; and making or receiving telephone calls.
* Inputting, checking and maintaining client management information reports.
* Organising and maintaining the team’s collective diary.
* Preparing and collating documents for internal and external presentations.
* Carrying out any other tasks that fall within the aspects of the role
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will be expected to perform other duties and have other responsibilities that fall within the wider remit of the role
The person specification
* Have at least 1 year’s experience in a busy legal/office environment (preferably in similar role)
* Must be a team player
* Show initiative and be self motivated when required to work on own
* Strong organisational and communication skills
* Ability to prioritise tasks is essential
* Good housekeeping skills
* A “hands on” approach to work
* Knowledge of computers and office equipment
* Use of spreadsheets, data collection and production of MI reports
* A ‘ will try anything' approach
Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.